Monday, June 8, 2009

A Fanta-'STICK' Prank

Sunday morning, I received curious news. As I greeted my husband who had awoken earlier, I was quickly informed that a surprise was waiting for me in our front yard. Judging by the tone in his voice, I concluded that he was surprised himself. Whatever was waiting for me, wasn't caused or given (for lack of a better word) by him.

As I peered out the window, I was struck with a mixture of amazement, confusion and disbelief.

"OH NO THEY DIDN'T"
Oh, yes they did. I don't know if you can truly appreciate their work entirely without blowing up one of the pictures. Double click on the following photo if needed:The C.I.C. (*criminal in charge) said that they used a total of 525 sticks.

The 'who dunnit' portion of the mystery was never in question. I knew exactly 'who' the young culprits were. However, my assumption of which adult(s) was responsible for providing the dreaded popsicle sticks and transportation was incorrect.

"It was totally Jimmy." I said to Andrew as we instantly began plotting our revenge scheme. "Whatever we do, let's try to leave Michelle out of it." I was wrong.

Michelle... I know better now! Who would suspect the super cute Mom of three young boys? Wouldn't she be too tired to haul a van load of adolescents out for a night out of popsicle stick- sticking? After all, her sweet month old baby was being blessed in Church the following morning, she is currently playing host to a load of family members; not to mention...I LET HER BORROW MY SWEATER FOR CHURCH a few hours earlier! I could go on and on.

Alas, It would seem that her desire to provide her nieces, nephews, and **ahem** her sister in law with a night of adrenaline-filled vandal prevailed over my past deeds of kindness.

If you know me well, then you understand the cleverness of their decision to use popsicle sticks over the traditional toilet paper roll.

I made the mistake of divulging my incredible distaste for manhandling exceedingly dry objects which include: popsicle sticks, cardboard toilet paper rolls, the disgusting brown paper found in public restrooms for the drying of hands, etc. A week ago, while sitting around a fire pit with our dear friends, I confided my insane insecurities.

"Remember how I place a wrapper between my fingers and popsicle stick today when I took over Eliza's popsicle?" Nodding in understanding, she replied,

"Oh ya...I did notice you doing that."

It bothers me to no end when Andrew chews on a popsicle stick or a sucker stick. CALL ME CRAZY. It won't do any good. I'm already aware. I'm slightly O.C.D. I need to have lotion after I get my hands wet. SO... being the hilarious fiends that they are, they thought they'd help me confront my irrational behavior HEAD ON. Another justification came in the form of this realization,

"We practically aerated your lawn for you. We've considered sending you a bill in the mail." Andrew replied,

"Yes please do. Just make sure you include a return address! (Dun, DUn, DUN!)" The embarrassing portion of the tale comes in the form of our neighbors. I wonder what they thought as they passed by our home Sunday. Perhaps it's good that I'll never know what they thought as they approached our colorful lawn. We waited until night fall before we began plucking them from the ground. It was less humiliating to do it in the dark. The only problem was, we missed a lot of them.

Well heck. I learned my lesson. Next time we're sitting around their camp fire, I'll be sure to tell them how much I 'despise' snicker bars... and maybe NEXT time, I'll find my lawn covered in those! :)

We had a great laugh. And... we'll have an even better laugh when we return the favor!
These photos were taken at Talon's swimming party. It was here that I was introduced me to Michelle and Jimmy's loving family. As Andrew sat with the adults he overheard one of them ask,

"Hey... is that the one who hates popsicle sticks?" Andrew laughed to himself as he watched her point at me. Noticing Andrew paying attention, Jimmy smiled back as he replied,

"Yup. That's her. And that... " Jimmy paused as he acknowledged Andrew "...is her husband."

11 comments:

Megan and Jonny said...

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in the world! Jon teases me all the time about how I won't touch popsicle sticks.

I'm anxiously awaiting your revenge...

Audra said...

I knew about your OCD but I never thought it would come back to get you! That is hilarious! I'm glad to hear you took in well. I hope the revenge is sweet!

Ben or Cortney said...

Great post, and hilarious story. Good for Michelle.

B-dizzle said...

I am always surprised at the people who will go SO out of their way for a prank.

Andrew Flegal said...

Dear B-dizzle,
You must be refering to electrified toilet seat from your past. Or is it the red eyed heads in your closet. You were always fun to tease.

*Jess* said...

Ali, I am trying very very hard to be very sympathetic and to be on your side through this friendly war, but is it okay that I laughed a bit, too?

Whit, Lindsey, and Jonas said...

Hilarious!!! I have to say that is kind of a weird OCD you've got going on there.Hehe. I know all to well about pranks..unfortunately mine weren't as nice as popsicle sticks. You can ask your husband about those. Maybe something under a carseat...or others

Blake and Jenn said...

I would have never thought to popsicle stick someone's house. That is quite creative! I'm interested to hear what's in store for the culprit...

Sara M. Taylor said...

Okay, I can touch popsicle sticks, but I know what you mean about touching dry things. I don't take the newspaper for that very reason.

Abe and Lisa Johnson said...

That story is hilarious. I love your blog! You are so great at telling stories. I haven't seen you since high school but it looks like you are doing great. Take care!

-Lisa Young Johnson
a fellow titan!! haha!!

Melvin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.