Monday, August 17, 2009

pneumonia is highly romantic

After five days of consistent yuck, I hauled myself to the local urgent care center yesterday. Twice. Neglecting to take note of the facility's hours, I arrived at 10:30 a.m. and sadly discovered that they didn't open until 1:00 p.m.

I was tested for the flu and swine flu - both tests came back negative (meaning I don't have those illnesses). I have to ask... has anyone else had the unfortunate experience of being tested for the flu? It was a cringe worthy moment that I'd like to avoid experiencing again. For those who don't know, they take a long testing swab and stick up your nose until they reach your brain. Yes, I'm exaggerating. I don't know what the destination was but it stung horribly. I'm looking to commiserate with someone.

The doctor concluded that an acute case of bronchitis has shifted into the early stages of pneumonia. A couple hours later, I made my way to the pharmacy and picked up a z-pack, inhaler, cough suppressant and mucinex. Being sick is expensive! That inhaler is the best thing that ever happened to me. Today was the first morning I woke up feeling an improvement. That's the good news. The bad news is, both of my kids are fevered and coughing.

Andrew, the love of my life, has graciously volunteered to take them to the Doctor's office for me this afternoon. I hope that they're on an antibiotic before their illnesses escalate into something fierce.

Today is our five year wedding anniversary!! It's sad that I won't be able to kiss my husband on our anniversary, right? Although our weekend was not spent wining and dining or dancing and romancing, these unfortunate circumstances validated for the zillionth time that we're a great team. I feel as though Andrew was tailor made for me in every way. I love him. I look back at the years we've spent as man and wife and feel intense gratitude.
It's been hard.
It's been easy.
It's been fun.
It's been challenging.
It's been the best.
It's been scary.
It's been rewarding.
It's been hilarious.

It's been worth it.

Andrew, I love you so much. Thank you for taking me to the temple five years ago and allowing me to be yours forever.

12 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! It stinks to be sick, especially when you want to celebrate. I was dead sick the day of our reception. One of my bridesmaids had shared a room with me the night before I got married and was sick. Three days later, at the reception, I was sick. No fun. BUT! That just means you are going to get to celebrate when you feel better and there is nothing like looking forward to a good date with your husband. Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

mistielin said...

awwwww... hahaha! Happy Anniversary!

Davis Family said...

Man, have you noticed that being sick never happens at times that are very convenient...not that there really is ever a good time to be sick though. Hopefully you get better soon so you can enjoy your anniversary!

Jessica said...

Happy anniversary! Now, I don't know if there is any connection here, but when we moved to Florida my Dad and I got Brocitis too but mine turned into a hacking phlemmy cough (pneumonia?) that I couldn't shake for 9 months. I also had an inhaler. I wonder if the climate/humidity/new environment takes a toll on some bodies more than others. I hope you get better very soon!

*Jess* said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Michelle said...

I am glad things are looking up. Hopefully your kids make it through. I'm bummed that I didn't bring candles with the cobbler! It could have been so romantic as you sat across the room from each other avoiding germs. Hopefully the cobbler satisfied your anniversary needs.;)

Audra said...

Yay for five years! I hate being tested for the flu! The nose swab is horrible! I hope you get better soon and before your children get too sick!

Catherine said...

I was tearing up reading this. It's so apparent what a beautiful marriage you have, Ali. The title of your post is ironically true! I can totally picture Andrew taking care of you these last few days, just like you take care of him when he's sick. Sacrifice is love. It makes me want to go outside where Wade is slaving away in the yard and give him a big hug and kiss of gratitude.

Your writing lifts me up. every. time. Can't thank you enough!

Nikki said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Betty said...

Happy schmanaversary. I would tell you about my weirdness with our anniversary, but your blog is public.

Liz Green said...

I'm sorry to hear your not feeling well. We'll keep you in our prayers. Glad it's not swine flu.

Mike Flegal said...

WHAT has the south done to you! It isnt supposed to make you sick. You are supposed to be eating 'bowled peanuts' and thriving with health!
:P
Im super sorry to hear you are illin but wishin and hopin and prayin y'all will be well by the time it comes to hop that plane so you can bask in the warmth of the lake with your family!