Monday, September 21, 2009

With help from the Craft Fairy

Unfortunately, I'm not the craft savvy, steady handed, sew machine capable, project oriented type of person. My strength lies in my ability to recognize people who are, appreciate their stellar taste and proceed to copy. Is that totally shameful? The part of my brain that is itching to transform and create has been switched to "hibernation mode" due to a lack of funding. I'm sure all of our homes would look different if we had the decorating budge we all desired. Am I right?

Right Mom.

With that being said, no one was more surprised than myself when the Craft Fairy blessed me with the following idea after a few sessions with my trusty friend, Google. I was searching for a creative way to display my children's artwork. This idea inspired me. Later on, I imagined the tag line, "Eliza & Henry's Art Gallery" in vinyl. After messing with fonts and colors on this website, I knew how I wanted it to look.

With frustration, I realized that you can't order the Deka rod from Ikea online. I don't live by an Ikea. Weeks later, when the idea resurfaced, I had the sense to try Ebay. For less than $5.00 (shipping not included), my order was placed.It enhances a wall that was, prior to this, totally lonely

Taking advantage of a friend's kindness... I mean, by supporting my local bestie's vinyl business, I was able to design and purchase the wording that I desired (I paid her, relax!). There are companies online that offer this same service. Thanks again, Michelle. Her spacing suggestions were definitely right on. I'm still giddy about it.

(The sign above the window says:
Please Excuse the Mess,
the Children are just Making Memories)

Window treatments. Yes, those would be nice. That's next on my list.

I'll be honest. Andrew's projects are slightly more impressive. His garden, for example, was a smashing success this season. I can't claim an ounce of credit for its productivity. Take a look here for the "before"... and the after

Again, we have dreams of quaint fence, or even raising our gadren. Due to the lack of funds, he steadied it all with bamboo and string. It's held strong through each rain storm. Do you remember this bad boy?
It's been the conversation starter ALL summer long with our neighbors. If you're still confused, it collects our rain water. Andrew waters the garden that way. He's all cute and engineerish like that.The garden has been our backyard gathering place. It's become a classroom for Andrew to teach the children. They are eager to help water, pick tomatoes and dig. It's a shame I didn't take a picture when the production was at its peak. Next up: Adventures in Dating your Spouse

11 comments:

Ang said...

Love the crafts, Ali!

jamie t. said...

Wow what great ideas! I am like you. I lack creativity but love to "steal" other peoples ideas. I love love love the art on a string. I may steal that.

I also love the water catcher. May have to steal that idea too... when I have my house and garden someday!

Ashley said...

I love love love the idea of displaying the kids art like that! So cute, I might have to steal it from you one of these days :)

Audra said...

You are creative! I love the ideas! I have always loved the look of the vinyl sayings but I haven't put any on my walls yet, I guess someday when I get a house!

Keersten said...

Very cute! It feels so great to do a little decorating. Killer garden, Andrew!

The Tate Family said...

I LOVE the gallery wall! That is too cute!

Liz Green said...

Wow! Andrew I am quite impressed with the garden. I barely recognized it from when I saw it in May. Ali, you do an amazing job keeping the house clean and decorative.

Jessica said...

Cute, cute cute!! I especially love the craft wall, I want to copy you too!

B-dizzle said...

The garden looks great. As do the walls. Eliza gets her friend making abilities from you, not from Andrew. As for making a home a home, I need some help. Can you teach me?
-Betty

Jen Bowen said...

I love how the craft wall turned out! I'm going to have to copy it or something once I live in a house. I love the font you chose. Also, Andrew's projects are very impressive. Looks like they create lots of great memories.

Holly said...

I love the Art Gallery idea! You are so creative and it looks so cute.