Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cheerful and Nauseating Sentiment

Last night I received a call from a concerned mother-in-law.

"Why aren't you blogging? Is everything alright?!...Six days between blogs isn't like you. I'm going through withdrawals."

Her call made me smile! I assured her that everything was well. In fact, I've kind of been riding a batch of happy hormones. I attribute my fortunate piece of contentment to the simple routines of life, the beautiful weather and health of my family.

Our weekend was basic. Andrew took the kids to the park while I attended a stake meeting on Saturday morning. Eliza observed children flying kites and informed her Daddy that she wanted one too.
After altering an unused garbage bag, he acquired a pair of sticks to create the kite. A few tweaks here and a little swivel action there; he had it secured to Eliza's purple fishing pole. I came home to this charming site.

And what do you know? It worked! By the way, I'm not a fan of her saying, "Oh my gosh!" either.
video

My good mood continued as I set down the pot of of pansies I'd just received. Ruining my stellar record of "all things loser" - I won them at a raffle following my church meeting. Yes!

Despite the chaos associated with leading the music in a primary program practice, the contentment continued on Sunday. After a late night plea from the ward choir director, I went to practice. It felt SO good to be singing in a choir again. I love to sing.

Good food likewise makes me happy. Sunday night, I made a chicken marinade that reminded me of home. As I cooked, I listened to the kid's laugh through the screened door off the playroom.


video

A weekend where the activities didn't involve the use of our debit card deeply cheered my spouse. I have him to thank for all of Eliza and Henry's squeals of joy.
Speaking of saving money, due to the content state of our local weather, I haven't had to pay much attention to our thermostat. The reduction that I anticipate in next months heating and electric bill makes me a little giddy.

Returning to how I love food (and family!) plans are in the process of being made for Thanksgiving. It looks like this year, our turkey weekend will be spent in the company of friends and family (*huge smile*).

My mother-in-law kindly listened as I gushed over the small details of our life that have left me glowing with gratitude.

"I mean, really. What's better than a smooth bed time routine?"

That's when the mental light bulb turned on. Perhaps, the real reason behind my happiness stems from the fact that we've all recently recovered from the 24 hour, "I want to shoot my foot off to distract me from my extreme discomfort" stomach virus. You know the one I'm talking about, right? It's the ugly, violent, purge you of EVERYTHING in a matter of hours, bug.

My supportive husband took a half day off of work to come care for the kids so that me and my depleted body could stare at a white wall while laying in bed. Anyway, the sickness was short lived, I'm two pounds lighter and enjoying a new week. Regardless of the reasons "why," the effort it takes to be happy needs to continue. It's a choice, as my wise husband frequently reminds me. And with that being said, here's to choosing to have a great week.

7 comments:

Davis Family said...

How wonderful to have such a great weekend. Glad you guys are all feeling better, being sick is no fun at all!

Stephanie J. Robertson said...

offend me? NEVER! sweeeet compliment friend- and I CANT BELIEVE YOU HAVE A HOUSE! i know, i know, you've had one for a long time and i have said this before.

i know.

crazy cooooool.

The Tate Family said...

I was wondering where you were! Thank goodness you are feeling better. I loved the "staring at a white wall" comment....we have all been there!

Teresa McCormack Flegal said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!! When I am so far away from my grandchildren and then you don't blog, I feel like I'm so alone. Somehow when I can see you and hear you, you feel closer. I needed that. So happy you are all well again.

*Jess* said...

I'm glad you feel better :)

boo face mcjones said...

amen. absolutely fabulous post, friend.

i love these reminders about how wonderful the simple things are.

Emily said...

I loved the video of Eliza flying her kite! Adorable!