Monday, December 27, 2010

A White Christmas!

On Christmas Day, South Carolina welcomed its first snow storm of the season!

The morning of the 26th, the conditions for snow play were ripe! Eliza was sorely disappointed when we told her that Church had been canceled. Um... not!

Heaven bless our fellow Carolinians and their cautionary reaction to snow. I'm not kidding when I say that Church was canceled. We did our best to keep the day holy. However, I implore you to keep in mind (as I justify our choices) that this may be the only time they put on their snow boots this Winter.

Considering our usual climate, the acquisition of snow gear is consistently low on my priority list. It was a small miracle that we were able to squeeze Henry into Eliza's former snow pants (size 18 months). In lieu of boots, we layered 4 pairs of socks on his little feet to fill in the bright pink rain boots he borrowed from Eliza.
Our little snow monster didn't seem to mind the arrangement.
There he goes flashing his large "hole" again. "Raaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!!!!!!"
Like last year, making a snow angel was the first thing on her list of to-dos. Can you tell she's laughing?!

Throwing snowballs at Daddy came next.
And finally, under the tutelage of her Father, she built our snow family.

Christmas day was simply wonderful. Our enthusiastic children proved to be the perfect cure for a homesick heart.

I realize that Henry looks like a bored Elvis impersonator in that picture, but it was the best one we got of the pair of them! In contrast to other years, the unwrapping of gifts took a long time. Henry wanted nothing to do with the presents that remained in his pile after opening the first two. Eliza, on the other hand, was gleefully inhaling that wrapping paper.This was my first Christmas spent away from family; which is why I feel a little guilty for the level of contentment we enjoyed that day. And thanks to that perfectly timed snowfall, that extra dusting of magic we'd been pining for arrived.

The only tears to escape me on Christmas fell while sharing some one on one time with Lottie. As I rocked her, we treated ourselves to a sampling of Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas music. Their version of "Bring a Torch, Jeanette Isabella" has long connected me to my Dad. There I sat; loving my new baby and loving the parents who raised me. Humbly, I was reminded that its because of that Babe in Bethlehem, even Jesus Christ, that they are mine to love forever.
How special it was to have someone so fresh from heaven in our home. I ache for the opportunity to introduce her to rest of her family but am rejoicing that she's already here. She's truly a gift. They all are.

4 comments:

Ryan and Alicia said...

That's too funny that church was canceled. A few weeks ago when we had a really bad snow storm the ward that meets before ours decided they'd canceled it too. What's funny is that our ward and the ward after us seemed to make it though. I think the Elders quarum from their ward(who's in charge of shoveling) didn't want to get up and do it. ;-) Glad you guys had a great Christmas and fun playing in the snow.

The Tate Family said...

Merry Christmas! How fun that you got snow...it was springlike weather here in Utah which was so weird!

Liz Green said...

What a perfect day for the first snow storm to arrive. You must have been dreaming about a white Christmas.
Looking at your pictures reminds me how much more fun it is to get some snow when you actually have a yard for the kids to play in it. It's a mess getting around the city here with tons of snow that still hasn't melted. Wish we could be there to enjoy it with you.
Glad you had a Merry Christmas. Lottie is darling.

Nikki said...

How fun that you got snow on Christmas! I love the snow family you built :)