Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Fourth(s) of July

Fireworks came early this year! Saturday night, the Mays clan (all 33 of us) congregated at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Mays for a spectacular viewing of Riverton city's firework show.

Eliza was thrilled with her first jeep ride {courtesy of Uncle Mike and Aunt Sunnee.} I am told that she spent a portion of the commute with her hands raised in the air as if she were riding a roller coaster. Yahoo.Ice cream cones with sprinkles, rated G beverages, a little wiffle ball action and a handful of children bickering over who got what glow stick proceeded the firework show. We were treated to VIP seating on my brother's front lawn which was conveniently located across the street from where the fireworks emanated. It was awesome to be there with each of my siblings, parents, nieces and nephews.

Sunday the celebrations continued with a festive BBQ. My Mom provided the BBQ while I provided the "festive."
My first cheesecake.

Isn't she beautiful? Idiot proof directions can be found here at Mel's Kitchen Cafe. She is my Julia Childs. I owe my culinary growth to her. I appreciate her detailed instructions and am drawn to her witty writing style. Someday, I hope, we'll be pen pals. Dinner was followed by a holiday craft. Go ahead and call us "over achievers;" but seriously, it's just my Mom. Thank you Nana Marie for organizing this project for the kids.And thank you Kate for keeping things interesting. Always.Neglecting the fact that our kids were already nearing the brink of exhaustion, Andrew took them to his Grandma's home late Sunday evening for a sleepover. Growing up it was tradition for Andrew to spend the night before the Fourth of July parade sleeping on his Grandma's back patio. Grandma's yard is a work of art. Her stunning roses, monster sized willow trees and the rushing creek out back complete an idealistic scene of picturesque beauty.
But all of that comes second to how cute and cuddly these bugs looked when I showed up early the next morning with their happy baby sister.

Breakfast with friends and family came next, followed by the parade that Andrew and I both grew up attending. Eliza and Henry reaped a bagful of candy that I've enjoyed "supervising." Dinner and games with Andrew's family wrapped up the weekend's festivities. And while we love having close access to family to share these celebrations with, we frequently reminisce and discuss the contrast of the way we spent holidays and long weekends in the South. I don't think we fully realize how unique and special that chapter was. Life is all about trade offs, right?

We had our fill this weekend and boy! We were tired. Right, Henry?Let Freedom Ring!

4 comments:

*Jess* said...

you guys sure know how to party!

Cardalls said...

I too grew up going to that parade and was a next door neighbor to Lois Flegal who is an angel! I somehow found your blog, not sure how, but love your writing style and your love of being a Mommy!

Cheryl Bevan Cardall

Emily said...

The Flegals celebrated in style this year - way to go on the cheescake Ali, it looked awesome and I'm sure was delicious! I think all of those events and traditions sounded like so much fun!

Teresa McCormack Flegal said...

Ok, I'm super impressed by the Cheesecake and pretty bummed I didn't have you go home and get the rest for our 4th Dinner dessert.