Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 9: sky scraping

Dear Andrew,

Skype-ing [or "sky scraping," as Eliza would say] with you today was wonderful! I am glad that your schedule finally allowed for the kids to have a few moments with you. Lottie's enthusiastic reaction surprised me. I know that she loves you, but I wasn't expecting her to glue herself to my lap to accommodate her want to see you. Her continued wave and happy blabber at your sudden appearance was the highlight of my day. Of course, while you've been gone, she finally decided that walking is her new preferred method of transport. I was happy that you were able to catch a glimpse of her adorable toddle.

I'm still trying to interpret Henry's unexpected reaction. Rather than staying put at the computer where we were all situated, he ran to the garage door to greet you. Somehow, hearing your voice and seeing your face meant that you were FINALLY home from work. He hasn't been vocal about your absence, but judging by his intense excitement as he rushed toward the garage yelling,

"He's home!! Daddy is home!" I think it's fair to say that he's definitely missing his Daddy.

Eliza was quick to retrieve the artwork that she had previously left for you on your nightstand and inside your lunch box... two places she knows they won't be missed. Don't be surprised if you come home and find additional love letters tucked near the toilet paper rolls of the bathroom as she is aware that it possibly could be your favorite room in the house. (Ba ha-ha ha).

The additional hours this project has required has been great. It has occupied your weekends, canceled a family vacation and taken you to Florida. Even so, it has also provided you the opportunity to showcase your talent and high level of commitment. Your work ethic continues to inspire me to make the most of my time at home with our children. So for that, I tip my hat to you and say, "Thank you."

I confess that I am thankful that traveling isn't a common occurrence because:
  1. Nagging you in person is way better than doing it over the phone and
  2. I am a huge sissy when it comes to turning off lights (especially basement lights), securing the doors (all four of them) and making sure there are zero monsters under our children's beds. When it comes time to tuck myself in, I pretty much run to bed.When something is out of place, at night especially, it makes my heart beat fast.
Speaking of things out of place, last night I found our sweet five year old slumbering in our bed. For the first time in her life, I allowed her to stay the night. The only "disturbance" came when I woke up at 3:00 a.m. to find that she was awake and scratching my back. Cute, right? You better hurry home, or you might find that I have found a replacement. ;)

As for the weekend, you'll never guess what the kids did Saturday...


They did a little artwork! I know. You're shocked. They also played outside for a bit. It was nice to see them enjoy the refreshing (read: polluted by inversion) air. 

But if you were to ask them, even better than painting was going to Nana Marie's for Grandma day. Having made each grandchild their own house, the kids got busy decorating them with an assortment of colorful candies. Eliza and Henry were thrilled with the activity.

 
  
Playing with cousins and pizza followed.

 

It doesn't get much better than that... unless, you get to take three cousins home with you for an even longer evening of play as part of a beautiful date night exchange you have going with your sister. It's seriously the greatest.

{Thank you Nana Marie for the ginger bread houses, the Christmas pillow cases and for the support you've lent while Andrew's been away.}

We love and miss you dearly.. Hurry home.

3 comments:

Andrew Flegal said...

Thanks for sharing. I love seeing my family happy.

PS leaving a comment from 39000 fet and 521 mph just blew my mind. I love technology. And you too. See you soon.

DIMTILY

Andrew Flegal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karina said...

Oh no! Eliza has taken my place - scratching your back in the middle of the night! ;D Ha ha!