Sunday, January 1, 2012

Oh Come Let Us Adore Him

Having stepped out of the shower a few minutes before her arrival, I felt that I was 'ahead of the game' on Christmas morning. As she cautiously peered her head around the corner, I knew that the moment I'd been looking forward to had finally come. Watching as her blue eyes adjusted to the bright lights of the bathroom, I waved her into the room so I could steal a hug.

"Merry Christmas, Eliza! Did Santa come?" Knowing the gifts could be seen from the top of the staircase, I was eager to hear her response.

"Ya!" she exclaimed. Quieting her voice she added, "There's like a thousand presents down there!" And in that moment, her child like wonder took hold of me. Scrooges and Grinches beware! That Christmas magic is highly contagious.
Henry offered up a big smile when I woke him with the news that it was Christmas morning. I couldn't help but return the smile when I pulled his covers off and saw that the slippers he'd opened on Christmas Eve were still securely attached to his feet.

Andrew was quick to suggest that we allow Lottie to continue to sleep, but I would allow no such thing. If the lighting had been better, I would post the picture of our three children sitting on the stairs, waiting to come down. Lottie, who screamed in protest during said picture op, had sided with her Dad on the sleeping- in issue.

 The children took turns unwrapping their gifts! Speaking on behalf of my husband, I have to say that we enjoyed every second of it. 
 

Church came next, followed by a most delicious helping of Christmas casserole. Finally, it was time to put Lottie down for a nap. I declined Andrew's kind offer to "go and lay down." I wanted to stay where the action was. I wanted to watch my children discover and play with their new toys.

 
Later that afternoon, we joined Andrew's side of the family for a memorable afternoon. Gifts were exchanged and dinner was enjoyed. Having spent a wonderful Christmas Eve with my side of the family,we spent the rest of Christmas day there with the Flegals. We were sure spoiled by our families.

 
 
 

In the days leading up to Christmas, I labeled our 9:00 a.m. church meeting as being "inconvenient." I worried that it would interfere with the magic of our morning. The idea of having to rush through the merriment upset me. The good news is, I felt sorry about my poor attitude and soon resolved to alter it before Christmas arrived.  

What better way to celebrate the birth of our Savior than attending Church. Am I right? The brilliance of the music pierced my heart. The reminder to more fully receive Christ into my life, among other sacred charges, resonated with me. I confess that the feelings of the Spirit were interrupted at times by my children who were on a solid sugar high thanks to the Pez candies found in their stockings that morning. But for me, the real lesson of that morning came as we sang the words to the classic hymn, "Oh Come All Ye Faithful."

With the sacred arrival of your own child, or perhaps a close friend or family member, there exists a special desire to come and adore the new baby. I love the feelings that attend such introductions. The anticipation of arriving at the hospital, congratulating the new parents and greeting the baby are special. Fresh from heaven, the new child is to be welcomed and adored. 

The phrase, "Oh Come Let Us Adore Him!" filled my heart with joy and my eyes with tears as I imagined how special it would have been to be among those invited by the angel to come and adore the Heavenly child. As we sang, thoughts of what it must have felt like to approach the manger filled my head. What an honor and a blessing that would have been, but without needing to state the obvious, I was not there. However, as I return to an earlier thought, there remains a continued invitation, directly from the Savior to: 
  
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11: 28-30)

I went ahead and made a comparison between the two invitations. Christ himself has beckoned us to Come unto Him. If I could channel that same level of devotion into accepting that invitation as I would if I had been invited to 'come and adore' the new babe in Bethlehem, all would be right. Having atoned for my sins in Gethsemane, having died on Golgotha's hill and then proceeding to overcome death through the power of the resurrection, He is now in a position to offer that aid that He speaks of. He knows me and patiently waits for me to personally do better. 

{Here's the part where I tell you that I've been asked to speak in Church or something, but I have not. Instead, I am going to go against my personal insecurities and continue said testimony with the hope that someday my kids might think their Mom occasionally tried to use her brain.)

As I ponder the things that I would like to accomplish this year, I think that it begins with the acceptance of that invitation. If I resolve to make my relationship with the Savior my first priority, I have faith that my list of goals will likewise be met.
Concluding on that note, we wish you all a happy and healthy 2012

It would seem that next year she'll need to be hit with a higher dose of that "highly contagious Christmas spirit."  Kindly imagine her toddler face filled with Christmas joy. Thanks!

(Wonderful insight regarding this topic found here)

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

What a beautiful Christmas for your family :)

HAYHAY said...

I agree with you on the magic of Christmas. It is so magical to see their sleepy eyes see their gifts for the first time. I felt the same way about having church. My mind was also changed. What a fabulous Christmas for you guys. I'm glad!