Monday, February 6, 2012

Expression


 

 It was a big week for Lottie.
"I HAVE ARRIVED!"
  
Finally hitting the 20 pound mark, Lottie was introduced to a front facing car seat. Her reaction was a mixture of confusion and delight. If I could comment on her behalf, I would imagine she'd say something like,

"Seriously?! This is what I've been missing!"

In other news, we are done nursing. If it had been up to her, we would have concluded that chapter last December, but because I have an inexplicable need to be "fair,' I dragged it out (pun intended) until month 15. 

Heads up!!!

It's recently been brought to my attention that my 
open nature is offensive to all of humanity. 
So, please discontinue reading if my thoughts 
on breastfeeding my children makes you uncomfortable.
Never mind the fact that nursing is about as natural and traditional 
and 'organic' as a chocolate chip cookie. 
This is my journal and if I can't overcome my constant 
insecurity of needing to "censor" thoughts,
I will pull the plug on being public. 
Oh, how very threatening, eh?

Eliza, also weaned at 15 months, felt the loss of nursing most.We were living in Germany at the time. I was pregnant with Henry and my body needed to be done. Shortly after making the resolve to wean her, she came down with a fever. It was a sad night as I could no longer offer her that security and comfort of nursing. Andrew insisted I stay in bed while he tended to our sick baby girl in my place. Having inherited every gene of sappiness and sentiment that her Mother could offer, it's somewhat expected, in a strange Motherly sense, that we'd both react dramatically to the void.

Henry responded differently to the change. He would nurse whenever I offered; primarily in the morning, nap and bedtime. He didn't expect, demand or initiate the way Eliza had. I was surprised, at 15 months, when I realized I had nursed him as long as Eliza. I decided I was ready to be done but worried he'd react like his sister. Indicative of his personality, he took it all in stride. Like Andrew, Henry goes with the flow. Something I really appreciate about him lately is how he can make-do and be happy no matter where he is. We need that type of ease to balance those of us who are a little higher maintenance. Speaking of...

Enter Lottie:

Last fall she began refusing to nurse at bedtime. The only time she accepted the invitation was in the morning... you know, in the middle of the rush that accompanies sending children off to school. We went with it anyway and am glad that I did. In recent days, I accepted that she was done and I could be too.

As she's grown, so has her desire to cuddle her Mom. Lottie initiates this. Plopping herself into my lap she will allow me to snuggle her to my heart's content. It's a welcome change and I feel the timing a blessing. One reason why I opt to nurse as long as I do is because it ensured time to physically connect with a busy, busy baby! In keeping with my comparisons, Lottie's on a mission to prove her independence. Who has time to nurse when there is exploring to be done? She's ready to be big like her brother and sister and had no problem saying farewell to that form of bonding.

Taking a cue from Lottie, who has fully embraced the business of growing up, I will be brave as I once again forfeit my "super power."

5 comments:

Andrew Flegal said...

You are such a weener.

Ali said...

I am glad you still think you are hilarious.

Even so, thanks for the comment.

Camille said...

So, was Eliza a demanding nurser? I have one of those on my hands...he swats away the sippy cup and pulls on my shirt, and I have only partially weaned. How did Eliza act when you completely stopped? I am so nervous to(but not anxious to stop soon). I just feel like Draven will be so MAD.

Camille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karina said...

You tell 'em! :D
Thanks for sharing about your weaning experiences - currently in the middle of that.
Loved the pictures of Lottie's faces.