Sunday, July 29, 2012

Queen Grandma

On the evening of the 24th, we met with Andrew's family to celebrate our super special Grandma Flegal a.k.a. Grandma Popcorn. 
 
After dinner, Grandma was presented with her Popcorn scepter, a certificate certifying how fabulous she really is and two large buckets of popcorn. A few of her Great Grandchildren serenaded her with a special version of "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree." Eliza re-wrote the song in the Lake Powell in her honor. The new, Eliza-fied, version of the song was distributed.
*Sung to the tune of Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree.

I opened the door and who did I see?
Grandma Popcorn with a big bowl for me
She is so kind to our family
I love her and so does she

I could take my arms and give her a hug
One I know she would surely love
And I'd just like to say, 
each and every day
I love you in every special, single way.
Our family loves Grandma!
 
 and ice cream. We all love ice cream.

Per tradition, Grandma showered the love back in the form of taffy. She threw it from her deck to her admiring public. 

Due to the drought, the creek in the back of Grandma's yard is a mere trickle this year. It was low and slow enough for the parents to feel comfortable in allowing their small children to wade and play in the water this year. Eliza was one of the first ones in.
And when I say, in... I mean, in! She fell in. And I'm sad to say no one else joined her in the, "I unintentionally face planted it into the creek" club. Poor thing.

 It's all fun and games until someone falls in the creek!
She was distressed, embarrassed and incredibly dramatic following her unplanned dip. Lucky for her, cousin Syrelle provided Eliza with a change of clean clothes.

Fireworks at Nanna and Bubba's concluded our very full day. Our kids were put to bed extremely late that night. Henry slept in until 10:00 a.m. the following morning... setting the summer sleep in record.

It was another Pioneer day to add to the books!

1 comment:

Liz Green said...

I'm so sad we couldn't be their for Grandma's big celebration. Thanks for sharing such cute pictures. It makes sad we are so far away, but glad we have ways to stay connected!