Wednesday, August 22, 2012

fueling their exhaustion

We survived the first week of first grade! Technically speaking, she was participating in a program called, Star Talk. This Wednesday, school will begin for the entire student body and Eliza's day will include time in her English classroom. I haven't told her this yet, but her day will also be one hour longer than it was during Star Talk (boo!).

Last Friday, Eliza and her peers participated in a program to display some of things they learned during their first week. The children introduced themselves in Chinese, sang two songs and did a dance with Chinese handkerchiefs. I'm a sucker for this type of thing. It was all warm fuzzies and laughter until we caught sight of Eliza digging for treasure as she sat up on stage. Issuing a stern whisper, I reproach her from my seat.

"Eliza!" I (loudly) whisper. Surprising both my Mom and myself, she turns my direction. She heard me! And so did the row ahead of us, I'm sure. Either way, she stopped. :) In her defense, nose picking isn't a common occurrence. Other than that, she was  delight to watch. The more I learn about this program, the more excited I feel.  

 
Wanting to reclaim our summer, we hit the pool shortly after returning home. Uncle Mike, Emilee and the Chamberlains were waiting for us. 
Mike and Emilee suggested we take our families camping. We knew just the place!

Eliza had to take a temporary timeout from playing with Emilee as she had a birthday party that night. They would be playing 'night games' which meant the start time of the party was later than you'd usually expect. By the time I picked her up, she looked like she was on the verge of crying.

"I'm just so tired, Mom!" A full week at school, an afternoon of swimming, a late night party... sounds about right. Rather than doing my duty by sending her straight to bed, her Dad had a tent waiting for her when she got home; complete with a cousin, pillows, popcorn and a movie...
How could I have put the kibosh on this? 
It was a late night!

No comments: