Monday, September 9, 2013

The Picture-less Life

Lately I've felt a strong aversion to blogging. I hear there's a giant online party over in instagram land. I feel as though I was one of the last to know about it (story of my life). Not only that, but while the world, my husband included, runs on smart phones; I'm too cheap to give up my dumb phone and have a fear of further neglecting my children if I'm allowed to carry the internet in my pocket; so it doesn't seem like I'll be joining the fun anytime soon. That is not a slam on the women who do, I just know my weaknesses. Go ahead and sound the 'loser' alarm.

In my defense, I'm pretty good with text messaging.

Realizing what's going on, even though I'm not apart of it, it clicked in my slow processing brain that this is where many of my blogging friends went. For awhile I was comparing my blog, and myself, to the girl at school who hasn't realized yet that she needs to wear deodorant. 

I sing my children's praises loudly. This can easily annoy and put-off people. I understand that. However, I view my blog as a giant love letter to my family where we can go back and play the "remember when" game and/or compare who baby Forrest looks like this week.

You see, it's sad how little Eliza and Henry remember from their earlier years. I quiz them about our life in South Carolina, as an example, and am disheartened to see that many of those memories have been lost. They are stuck in my brain, on this blog and that's all. Andrew, bless his heart, can't remember what he had for dinner last night. Heaven forbid something happens to their cheesy, overly-sentimental Mom, but if it did I would hope that they'd be grateful for my efforts in continuing to blog the week to week details of their childhood. I have four kids. Odds are at least one of them will inherit my love language (dear spouse please read: WORDS OF AFFIRMATION) and appreciate this. As for the others who are easily embarrassed by all the detail their Mother spewed out for the entire world to see... well, let's just say they can look to their Dad for ways of coping.

Although I feel like I'm kind of dancing by myself here in blog land, that is not the reason why I have felt an aversion to being here.

Last week was great. As a family we went to the waterslide park for a Scouting activity that Andrew was in charge of. The kids ate monster sized ice cream cones while they waited for their turn to ride on their Dad's lap down the waterslides. One photo captured Lottie with a healthy smattering of chocolate ice cream on her angelic face. Later that week, I took our camera with us as we walked to school. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to photograph Lottie, who had grabbed herself a backpack, trailing along with her siblings. Henry got new glasses, another milestone in an already emotional fueled week. Our camera was there to capture his first day with his new specs. And then on Saturday night we set up a movie in our backyard. Neighbors and cousins filled our lawn with blankets, ate popcorn and watched, "The Zookeeper." Andrew set up white Christmas lights in the playhouse which added to an already picturesque 'summer has not ended completely' scene. And then my camera malfunctioned deleting each photo and corrupting the files in the process. I don't even know who or what to blame as I didn't do anything out of the ordinary when I went to upload them.

I was sad. Andrew tried his darnedest to recover them but to no avail. So here I am left to blog without pictures to highlight the happiness of that week. Blogs filled with words and void of photos is something my spouse really dislikes. Oh well. Life continues to roll on and so will my blog. Real quick, I just wanted to say to my friends who are still on the blogging wagon, it's good to have you! I very much enjoy reading up on your lives. You lift me up, make me laugh and reassure me that motherhood and growing up is a process of becoming. Wow. I feel like I'm narrating a PBS commercial. On that note, goodnight. 

13 comments:

Amanda said...

I still read your blog! It's one of my favorites, your kids are beautiful and I love your writing. I hear you though, it seems like no one blogs anymore. Way to keep your family history alive, and thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

CarrieAnne said...

I'm glad there are still a few of us left in blogging land! Have you ever considered slurping your blog into a book? I use Blurp and have loved having a hard copy to look through.

*Jess* said...

I am a die hard instagram fan, but I will never give up on blogging. And I love reading blogs! Its so important from a journaling aspect, too!

Its sad that the two big kids don't remember SC very much :( We think about you guys all the time! We have friends that bought the house next to yours. Jayce says every time, "Hey, that's where Eliza and Henry lived!" and then he asks about Talon and Colby. Just know the Walkers miss you guys!

rachel garber said...

I read your blog! I still blog! I can't jump on the instagram bandwagon. I really can't. I don't Facebook, Twitter, Pin, not one of those things. Blogging is it. And I hear you on it being your scrapbook/journal. When I was in the midst of early love with Garbs, I filled an entire journal in six months with every detail, conversation, moment of our lives. I love to go back and read it. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the rest of my life - I just get negligent in journaling. But I blog and then I remember what was going on in my life, what my students said, where I filled my time. So I'm going to keep at it, even if it's largely for myself.

Mel said...

I still read your blog (is that creepy since we've never officially met) even though I rarely comment. Obviously. Keep on keeping on! I still family blog even though it is crazy out of style. I guess it's like a personal family journal even though hardly anyone checks it anymore (Instagram and FB are where it's at, I guess, even though I'm lousy at both). So sad about your pictures, though! Don't give up!

rachel garber said...

P.S. Mel reads your blog!??!?!? So jealous. Love her stuff!

Ali said...

Oh my gosh! I need to narrate PBS commercials more often. Thanks for the comments and validation that shallow bloggers like me are in desperate need of!

Mel, I about wet my pants when I read your comment. Not because you're creepy, but because I totally want you to autograph my collection of recipes I have from your website.

Audra said...

Sorry about your pictures! I LOVE pictures and my husband knows I would die if they were lost. I hope you stop by my now private blog once in while, I love reading yours.

Nathan and Bonnie said...

Call me totally 'out there,' but I admire you so much for being a faithful blogger and actually having your family's memories/stories/pics written down. You have definitely inspired me to want to do better at blogging. I totally understand the whole smart phone aversion...although I did give in and get one a year ago, and I confess. I love it dearly. If and when you upgrade (and get Instagram of course) you'll have to let us know how you like it. And what your Instagram name is so all of us groupies can follow you. :-)

Paparazzi Boutique said...

I still faithfully keep our family blog. I have a smartphone, but have not jumped on the Instagram bandwagon yet, and probably never will. Too many security issues and I don't see the greatness of it. LOL! Just wanted you to know you are not alone.

Karina said...

Can I say "I told you so!"??? :) Hoep you're glad you posted this. Your blog is the best! :) I am even further behind you, technologically, so don't feel bad. I wish I was as faithful about blogging as you; it is preserving family history and, in a way, building relationships too. You are an awesome writer. And [as a words of affirmation girl myself!] many times, words are better than a picture.

Claudia said...

Dear Ali,
I love your blog, too!! It is still one of my favorites and I read regularly, because I like the way you describe your life, your wonderful children and how you work though your challenges. Unfortunately I don' t have a blog of my own ( I even do not know what Instagram is... ), I hope, that is ok, though?
(Andrew served a part of his mission in Bonn, where we got to know you and Baby Eliza some years ago. And we are FB-connected, just to let you get a clue which Claudia I am.)
So please, keep on writing those memories!

Corbin Rasmussen said...

Ali you should never stop blogging. I love the way you write. I have a dumb phone too!!! And you will be so happy you have been keeping up on this...we print our blog in to books and the kids love looking at them. Again, Alli not Corbin.