Monday, May 12, 2014

Cute Baby tastes sugar for the first (or possibly seventh?) time!

Dear (grown up, happily living in the future) Forrest,

When you reflect on your first birthday, please don't feel upset when comparing your simple at home festivities to the giant rodeo we threw for your eight year old sister's birthday a few days later. Let's hope you're wired with the "who cares" gene like your Dad; but in case you're not, please allow me to share some lingering {and special} details that your Mama won't forget.

When I asked the kids what we should do to celebrate your first birthday, Eliza suggested that we allow you to unroll all the toilet paper rolls in the house. She sure knows you well! I was totally on board with her fun idea until I thought about the days following your birthday and the inevitable confusion you'd experience when Mama suddenly returned to her usual,

"No, No, No Forrest! We don't touch the toilet paper..." So we made other plans.

Because we roll fancy, we went to our local mall so you could play in their child play area with your big sisters. It was such a simple thing to do, but believe me when I say it's one of your favorite places! I mean it. That space was tailored made for you. You had a great time (fyi, Henry had a play date). 
Coming home, I went to work making breakfast for dinner; scrambled eggs, sausage and English muffins. You devoured it all. You're a fan of protein. After singing to you, we waited a full two minutes for you to actually take a taste of your birthday doughnut. You finally realized what your were tasting and went to town. Soon after, Dad announced that it was a "ride your bike" birthday party (read: he wanted a reason to go work in his garage!). You and I watched as the big kids ran outside to "participate". It was then my honor to give you your birthday bath and get you ready for bed. We rocked, I sang and you smiled. I love you sweet boy. So much.

 I promise I'll make something homemade next year.

The birthday song:


You're right. There's no such thing as to many messy jelly face doughnut pictures.

2 comments:

Katie Jensen said...

Mmmmmm, donuts.

*Jess* said...

its a perfect party for a one year old :)