Thursday, June 26, 2014

Father's day 2014

We celebrated Father's day a week late with the Flegal gang. After a great dinner, the kids disappeared with their cousins.
 
Time stood still for Henry as he climbed high into Bubba and Nanna's cherry tree. Without a care in the world, he filled his belly full of cherries. It was a good thing cousin Max had soaked him with the hose earlier that night because Henry was now free to be (mostly) naked while his clothes dried. Cherry juice streamed down his face and onto his bare man child chest. Smudges of dirt also dotted various places on his face and body. A feeling of satisfaction swelled within my heart as I watched my child live his summer as he jetted across the backyard in his underoos; trying to make up his mind between the swing set and trampoline.
 
Eliza and Cece picked up where they usually leave off. Creative Cecelia directs Eliza in some type of music video on a smart phone (for the adults to enjoy later) or they prepare a live musical number. She then does her best to recruit grown ups to the basement for Eliza's performance.
 
Lottie kept busy chasing the older kids as well as playing with the twins.
 
Fussy Forrest was the hot potato that kept being passed from adult to adult. As cute as he is, the child is work; especially when he's tired and grumpy.
 
It was a beautiful night spent with great people. 



To our Bubba: Happy Father's day! The expression on Eliza's face pretty much sums up how we all feel about you. You are a special Grandfather. Our kids are so blessed to know and love you. I thank my lucky stars each day as I watch Andrew with our kids. It's because of you that he's the great Dad that he is.

As for my Dad, we were able to visit him on Father's day. It was a quiet and quick visit considering he's been in the process of recovering from a brutal case of vestibular neuronitis. While on my trip, he was hit with a sudden and acute vertigo. It was vicious, to say the least, as he had no choice but to go to the ER via the paramedics. After staying in the hospital for a few days, he returned home where he's been slowly recovering. It was a scary thing, but the good news is it's generally something that only happens once. I'm glad it's not something chronic, etc.
It wasn't the Father's day he hoped for, I'm sure, but it was kind of neat to see my siblings rally around him and my Mom when it all happened.


One of the things I love most about my Dad is his ability to make people feel really good about themselves. He doesn't hesitate to compliment others and is genuine when he goes about it. He's a scholar, a scriptorian and his work relating to LDS church history is frequently highlighted in newspapers, etc... as great as all of this is, it's how he is with people that I admire most. Maya Angelou said:
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, 
people will forget what you did, 
but people will never forget how you made them feel."

And he make people feel good inside. This is what I try to emulate most. I love you, Dad.

No comments: