Thursday, September 24, 2015

Willa's Fairy Festival 2015

"...But Mama, are you going to let us wear make-up?" Lottie asked. Her big eyes were pleading with me to say "yes." I couldn't help but smile. It would seem that was the only confirmation needed as she instantly began to jump and down. Both of my little ladies ask to wear make up frequently. It would take something really special, like a dance recital or Halloween, for me to agree. Perhaps I'd be more open to the idea if it didn't make Andrew squirm when the girls are dolled up in such a way. It's bad. Even the sight of slightly tinted lip gloss makes him uneasy. The prospect of teenage daughters frightens him, I think.

However, that night was different; an exception was made. Eliza and Lottie would transform into fairies and attend Willa's Fairy Festival, a long running event held each year to raise money for {various] charities. Henry likewise joined in the fun as he put on his well loved knight costume. He looked dashing.
 
Please understand, dear reader, this event is much more than a fundraiser. Having finally attended I would use the words magical, awe inspiring and special. Tucked away in a most lovely corner of Holladay, neighbors become family as they transform their yards into a fairy wonderland. It's truly a visual feast. Handcrafted fairies adorn trees, lights twinkle, pirates sing and play accordions, mermaids cast wishes and life size fairies tell stories. There's a charming market, baked goodies and an array of activities for children to enjoy. Those who come to support the festival add to the glorious ambiance as dazzled children run about; while parents d their best to keep up. The rain tried its best to impose but it thankfully dissipated. It was as if someone cast a magic spell, shooing that giant storm away. It wasn't long until the weather agreed to be amicable and we could put away our umbrellas.
 
 
The inspiration for this magic is Willa Tempest Jones. The love her parents have for her has propelled their efforts into something incredible. My blog has shared her story before (click here). I worry that my superfluous description will do more harm than good. Please forgive me if that's the case. Visit their website to see what I'm talking about (click here.)

Earlier this summer, I once again shared Willa's story with Eliza. She was particularly touched as I explained their second cousin connection. Willa's Grandma Marilyn, is my Mom's (Eliza's Grandma's) twin sister. Wanting to contribute, Eliza soon decided to sew teddy bears to sell at the market. The funds raised would be donated to this year's cause (multiple sclerosis). By the time the event arrived, she had ten bears completed. And despite how it may appear in these photos, she disliked the attention of it all. She was happy to do it but didn't want me to make a spectacle of her. She's better than me in so many ways. 
 

In addition to the children's enjoyment, I loved reconnecting with my cousins, their children and visiting with some friends from high school. I can't emphasize enough how thoughtful and meticulous each detail was. They were fashioned with care and a lot of love. It's hard to fathom the hours spent preparing for such a night. I'm glad we skipped our own school carnival to come.
Greta, Magnolia and Ruby Jones
Cousins!
We loved when Nanna Teresa, Katie and the Jensen's arrived. It was fun to watch them pal around.
These two cutie pies are especially close.

I have to give credit and share my appreciation for both 
Nanna Teresa and Nana Marie for their help with Eliza's bears.
Each of them spent time helping her as Eliza's Mom
continues to be the opposite of craft savvy. 
{I do my part as I drive her to her sewing lessons;
so I guess that makes me pretty much invaluable! Ha!}
Until next year!

No comments: