Wednesday, June 15, 2016

To the cabin we go! Memorial Weekend 2016


Memorial Day Weekend 2016

I'm going to be honest. Currently, I'm in the dog house. It's not often that this happens. However, I was a naughty Mama. Andrew asked me a few months back not to put egg shells down our disposal because it clogs the sink. Tonight, while making dinner, I put several egg shells down the sink. Andrew is currently reassembling our sink because, sure enough, those egg shells clogged it. I feel both sheepish and sad for Andrew.

You see, Andrew had a long day at work. I was happy that dinner was on the table when he walked in the door. Our time around the table was limited because he had promised to help fix a friend's car's blinker tonight. He's just a good guy like that, you know? For whatever reason, Andrew put his phone underneath their car while working on it. I think he was using his phone as a flashlight. Long story short, too late Ali, he left his phone under their car. After making the repair, our friends drove home. A while later, he realizes that he had never retrieved his phone. Without much hope, he jumped in the car to see if he could find it. The good news is, he did find it. The bad news is, it was in pieces! As Elphaba would say, "No good deed goes unpunished." Am I right?

Despite his shattered phone and having a wife who didn't listen to his plea to just put the egg shells into the garbage, he's in an okay mood. I'm so glad he doesn't yell or get angry with me despite having multiple reasons. He's a good man. And I'm thankful for that.

When I blog, I like to write about what is currently happening or what I'm feeling as I sit here at my keyboard. But usually, I'm trying to catch up on some "event" or experience that I want to remember. So allow me to shift gears as I do that.

I mentioned in my last post that we went to Bubba's cabin over Memorial day weekend. It really was a happy time even though we couldn't persuade anyone to join us. What I like best about the cabin is that we literally unplug from screens as we don't receive cell phone and/or internet service. We are disconnected from work, church callings and other distractions. The focus was on one another and we all benefited from it.

Before I sound too much like June Cleaver, I have to say that we had our fair share of bumps along the way. It took awhile before Andrew could get the propane to work. I was left to wonder if we'd be able to use the stove as we had planned. Also, the toilet had a leak which caused further concern as I wondered if we'd be using the outhouse for the duration of our trip. Thankfully, MacGyver was able to find the solution to these issues and it's a good thing because Lottie ended up throwing up in the wee hours of the morning. We were certainly grateful for that flushing toilet as we took care of that situation (over and over again).

It was fortunate that I was the one who ended up sharing a bed with Lottie. An hour or so before the pukes hit, she was restless. Her discomfort woke me up. I did my best to help her relax. The "throw ups" were not on my radar but because of how uncomfortable she was, I grabbed a bowl... you know, just in case. As the puking began, Andrew and I fell into a nice little rhythm. We'd fall asleep for about thirty seconds only to hear Lottie moan in pain. That was my cue to pull her hair back and catch the puke. In the most innocent of voices she'd assure me,

"I'm done, Mom. I promise." And I would tenderly reply, "Just another minute. I don't think you are..." 18 seconds later, another round would manifest itself and then, Andrew so kindly, would walk the vomit down to the toilet. He told me the next morning that he learned to carry the bowl behind his back so he wouldn't have to smell its contents. We had two bowls in the barf rotation so we were prepared if another round hit while he was cleaning out a bowl. And that's how our night went for about three hours. Poor Lottie.

The funniest part was Forrest. He woke up a few of the times and after one round, he sweetly asked Lottie,

"Feel better now, Lottie?" It was so tender. It just made me smile so big. During this (awful) experience I also forgave everyone who stood us up on this trip as I imagined the horror that would have consumed their hearts knowing we had brought along a puker. The assumption is that once it hits one child, everyone within a five mile radius is DOOMED. Thankfully, that was not the case.

Lottie rebounded by breakfast. She ate well that morning and no one else became ill. The rest of the trip was spent riding four wheelers, watching the kids build Fairy and Leprepchaun Houses, visiting the tree forts and reading.


"Hey Lottie, do you want to build a fairy house with me?"

Since the boys have become roommates,
they have become the sweetest friends.
Henry dotes on Forrest.
Forrest wants to be just like Henry. 

The older two kids and I each brought along a book or two.

I LOVED being able to dedicate most of my time to reading uninterrupted. Forrest was old enough that I could watch him play with his siblings from a distance. Reading is one of my most favorite things to do but when I'm reading a great book, I have a tendency of ignoring my family until I've completed my story. Besides preparing meals, sun screening kids and helping with the clean up, I didn't have much else to do so I read. And I liked that a lot.  

Four wheeler rides:


Cooking around the camp fire:



Dad caught a toad!

Forrest being cute:
Kids being silly:


One final memory:

Our last morning there, Andrew made homemade oatmeal. It is of his own creation and we all think it's delicious. As we were eating, tears filled his eyes. Andrew expressed how incredibly happy he was. Nature lifts his spirit in the best way possible. Combining our beautiful surroundings with being together as a family about did him in. He was so happy; which made me so happy. He works very hard to provide us with a beautiful life. I'm grateful that Bubba allows us to visit this special place as often as we can so that he can recharge... Karate Kid style. 

And as an added bonus, for those who made it through the entire post (shout out to my friend Lara!! Thanks for your comment one post back. It made me smile all week long!!!) here's this:
Yikes!!! Of all the things Andrew fixed, the water heater was not one of them. He was determined to take a shower anyway. It was ridiculously cold. His screams brought tears to my eyes as we were laughing so hard. He needed a moment  (or two) to warm up by the fire after taking such a cold shower. GOOD TIMES!

Again, I'm so glad the throw up didn't get in Lottie's hair or on her jammies, the bedding, etc. That would have been tricky business!

Two videos:


4 comments:

Lara said...

Yay! I made it into one of your posts! Still delightful as ever :)

Shera said...

What is so funny is that I don't know you and you don't know me but I have been a faithful follower of your blog for years. Just know that there are readers even when it doesn't feel like it!

Katie Jensen said...

I read. I just don't always comment. I LOVE your blog

rachel garber said...

What are you reading? I love getting lost in books but it's been so long since I've found one I just love.