Monday, September 12, 2016

Discovering Yellowstone


A few days after Mia's arrival, we went camping at Henry's Lake near Yellowstone. This was the first time our family of six has slept in a tent. I have shot down camping requests in the past because of the logistics (read: nightmare) of sleeping in a tent with a baby. Forrest is a big boy now, so he tells me (SOB!), so we went for it. Despite the cold temperatures, we stayed warm! Our trip was a success. Yellowstone is gorgeous, Mia experienced something completely new and it broke the ice between us all.
 Forrest stole her heart with ease. He often picked her flowers during her stay.


Mia bonded with our kids and at night, after Andrew and I put the kids to bed, the three of us would sit around the campfire and talk and laugh (mostly we laughed). It was then that I realized that we were going to have a lot of fun with Mia. My first impression was that she was quiet and timid. But as we laughed around the campfire, those walls came down. We saw her humor and wit. I felt confident from then on that we were going to have the best time together.

Feeling especially tired one night, I felt inspired to speak German. 
Obviously {not} blessed with the gift of tongues, hilarity ensued.

The first thing we did on our first full day was visit Johnny Sack's cabin in Cascade Springs. Mr. Sack was from Germany, near Bavaria, like Mia. His cabin reflects his German heritage. As neat as the cabin was, the scenery was what really captured our attention.



We made it to the park soon after and headed toward Old Faithful; making stops along the way when we saw wildlife. It was lunchtime when we arrived at our destination. After making sandwiches, we found a bench and waited (and waited) for Old Faithful to erupt. One of the best parts about that wait was watching Eliza and Henry engage a darling Mother/Daughter duo from China in conversation. Later that day, we bumped into them again and they asked if they could get their picture taken with our kids. It was a humours moment as I mistakenly counted to three in German instead of Chinese.

 After visiting Old Faithful, we went and grabbed ice cream/ root beer floats.Forrest ended up with more on his head than in his mouth. We overhead a funny conversation. As a reminder to those of who were there, I will simply say: "E-L-L-I-O-T!!!"

 We went to the Grand Prismatic hot spring area next. After that, we headed back toward West Yellowstone.
 
 
 
That evening we stopped to have dinner at a delicious pizza place. And then, the kids, Mia and I went to the playmill theatre and watched Mary Poppins. We loved it. Andrew went fishing. And I think he loved that too.

Here are a few camp life photos:


The sunset as we left the Playmill theatre
My cozy babies. 
This is one of my favorite pictures from the entire trip.
Waking up to them laughing together was my favorite.
(before it sounds to perfect, they were laughing at each other as the took turns farting.) 

Day two highlights include the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and Mammoth Hot Springs. It is truly and incredible place. I am looking forward to more camping trips with my family. It's nice to have that experience under our belt.

No comments: