Monday, June 12, 2017

Spring Break 2017

 

Recently, we moved a couch next to this window in our front room.
I spent a lot of time this Spring sitting there and gazing up at the gorgeous blossoms on our pear tree.
My increasing appreciation for nature is one of many signals that I am growing older.

This spring, General Conference coincided with our spring break.
It was nice to have that long weekend at home without church obligations followed by a week without school! I wouldn't be sad if that happened again next year.

It was also the first time, that I can remember anyway, that I did something extra
to motivate the kids to listen better during conference. 
Each bowl had a treat assigned to a word or phrase that we often hear during conference.
The kids listened closely for these words so they could have one treat.
Overall, this idea was successful.
However, my kids cheated and stole a few pieces here and there.
Also, next time around... I would add some healthier options too in lieu of all that sugar.
The ensuing sugar rush was real and slightly insane. 

Our first outing during Spring break was to the Loveland living planet aquarium. 
Andrew had injured his knees while walking with some neighbors a few days before and was in enough pain that he requested a wheelchair. 
Actually, if you want the full story;
Andrew brought one of the kids razor scooters into the aquarium with the plan to use that.
However, security shut down that idea immediately and suggested he rent the wheelchair instead. 
The kids liked taking turns pushing him or sitting with him.
It was extra special that Bubba was able to come!

After the aquarium we stopped by Bubba and Nanna Teresa's house for ice cream.
Lucky for Eliza, she bumped into cute cousin Syrelle and was invited to go to her house for a sleepover!
Eliza was thrilled and the timing was great so we made it happen.

That did mean, however, that Eliza missed out on our bowling outing the following day.

After bowling, I introduced these three kids to Coldstone. 

The following morning, after a violin lesson, we drove to Oakley and were reunited with Eliza.
She had such a wonderful time with the Taylors, 
but man... I struggle having her away! 
Seeing her empty bed gives me a case of the sads!

Near their home is a fun rec center where we swam.
After that, we went to Summit Inn Pizza.

We crammed a lot into those first three days!
The rest of the week was spent folding laundry probably. 

The remaining pictures are from Forrest's field trip to the Tree house museum! 
Lottie was lucky enough to tag along. 
A few weeks later we went Lottie's Kindergarten class and Forrest was able to tag along. 
Let's not think too much about Lottie going to first grade next year 
and having to start all over again in finding our new normal. 
(again... it gives me a case of the sads)
 (I found that sweet note on my pillow the other night.
The smiley face made of elastics was left on my "desek")
Special friends!!
Forrest wore this hat for a week straight.
He reminded us of Porky from the Little Rascals;
so so cute!
His preschool picture this year!
And finally, as a follow up to Henry's federation performance;
he earned a SUPERIOR rating!
We are very proud parents.



1 comment:

rachel garber said...

"My increasing appreciation for nature is one of many signals that I am growing older." -- that made me laugh and totally agree. The longer we have been out on the ranch, the more I appreciate the nature and the older I feel for such appreciation :)