Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ali in Real Life ... play along with me.

*** Note to reader: I don't want to overshadow Henry's photos by posting another blog to quickly, so be sure to take a looksie at yesterday's post if you haven't already. He's too cute to pass up.

It's a good thing my Dad continually forgets to check my blog because today's post mentions the phrase, "electric breast pump" - yikes.

My frequent and unpredictable nursing sessions with Sir Henry, combined with an intense loathing for my breast pump machine, has caused a strain on my relationship with our local movie theater.

Following Eliza's arrival, the breast pump and I had an unnatural bond that was built on anxiety, necessity and pain. I turned it on once after Henry was born and approximately 3 seconds of listening to that heinous noise, those feelings quickly resurfaced. I vowed right then and there that I will not be using that machine again. Ever.

What does an electric breast pump sound like? A donkey; a sick donkey "hee-hawing" in pain. Because it's in labor.I'm not opposed to formula, but being without a dishwasher has made me slightly anti-bottle. Not to mention, formula is expensiv-o. And so, dear reader, until my desire to see a flick supersedes my laziness and detestation for my breast pump, all movie viewing needs will be met by red box.

We scored with our latest red box rental Dan in Real Life

I really liked it. However, I did detect a large dose of Michael Scottness during a scene where he tells the cop to put his second speeding ticket on his "tab" which was then followed by a classic, "Michael Scott" grin. But since the Office has returned, I was okay with the reminder.

I've found myself thinking what a great job his character Dan has. He writes for a living. And gets paid for it! He shares his opinion, offers advice - And Gets Paid For It - all the while, he has the freedom of doing this in his pajamas.

SIGN ME UP.

Here I sit with my disheveled hair piled on the top of my head in a granny bun... a hair style that makes my husband's toes curl. I am wearing a fire engine red XXL Teraflex t-shirt with sleeves that nearly reach my elbows. My pants definitely have an elastic waist. They're black, covered in spit up and expose my calves that haven't been shaved since who know when.

I'm the living definition of a woman who has momentarily let herself go. On the days where I do make my appearance a priority, my husband quickly comments on how "fresh" I look. He then begins to compare me to a fresh piece of fruit that he'd be attracted to buy at the grocery store. It's okay, I'm still trying to figure that one out too.

So back to my desire to be Dan in Real Life... I have a request. Will someone leave me a comment (it surely can be anonymous) detailing a personal crisis or problem that you want me to solve? I'll then dedicate a future post to doing so. I'm totally uneducated and am a non-professional, but humor me. This could be funny, or not, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. I'm all about self humiliation. Make up the problem if you want, just keep it rated PG.

Gee thanks, this could be fun - if someone chooses to participate. By all means, don't make me post anonymously on my own blog. That would just be tacky.

17 comments:

Laura said...

So, Dan aka Ali

My problem has to do with trying to find romance when I'm dead tired and can barely keep my eyes open once I jump into bed to say my prayers before I pass out from pure exhaustion. How do you keep it alive when you have a new, wee little one that completely dominates all your energy and time?

And, just to comment, I think your posts are awesome, you have a talent for writing that I never knew, you keep me rolling every day!

Ali said...

Laura YOU ROCK!!

My husband is especially happy that you asked this question. I will be pondering on it.

Stay tuned.

Great question, this is totally great.

AnnEE said...

I was going to ask this SAME QUESTION. One can not only be romantic on the weekends....or CAN they??

Hmmm...my question???

How do I find the balance of not wanting to lose weight because I'm just going to get pregnant again, but not wanting to be FAT for the next two years. Help.

Ang said...

Well, Ali, you are definitely a great writer. I'm still thinking of my question though.

Jess said...

Ali, I have no problems, but boy your blog brightens my day! You are an incredible writer and I believe that you could capitalize on this. People actually get paid to blog. there are also several mommy websites that you can submit any random article to and you get paid (although it takes a while to add up) by the amount of people that read it. I cannot do something like this because I have no writing talent. But as Laura said, you do have an incredible and long hidden talent. Even some of my friends from college have told me that they love reading your blog. Keep those posts coming and I am interested in this experiment as well. Who knows? this could lead to a book or something.

jamie t. said...

How do I get my girls to let me brush their teeth. I hate that time of night be they always want to do it themselves, but I want to make sure that their teeth get clean. It is always a battle. What do I do?

PS: I love your blog

Anonymous said...

I have had friends of mine tell me that they read your blog (although the don't know you personally) because you are so entertaining.

I'm interested to see how you answer the above questions, so I'll defer mine 'till later.

Jessica said...

Looks like you've got some good questions, and I don't have one at the moment. But I do have to say that I LOATHE the electric breast pump as well. I would make excuses not to go out so I didn't have to do it! Oh and favorite line from the movie, "You are a murder of love!!!!" I love to quote it whenever possible.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but I've copied and pasted from Miriam's (of Nauvoo) blog. I thought it was a pretty good question, so I'm curious to know what advice you might give.

"I want to stay home with my baby (ies), but I do not think it is fair to expect [my husband] to go to school full time and be the sole provider for our family. We have at least 3 and a half years of school left if he goes full time. But if he is going to be working simultaneously, shouldn't I give him a break and let him focus on getting his education? I do not want to leave [my son though]. He needs his mommy. I guess it would only be for a couple of years.... but then again they are a couple of very important years. Any ideas, suggestions, or perspective?"

Emily said...

I am full of problems so I'll have to try to narrow it down to just one. While I am thinking I will share my own feelings on breast pumps. When I came home with my twins and they were still in the hospital I had to pump every 2 or 3 hours to try to get my milk to come in. Well, my step sister loaned me her single pump. It didn't come with any instructions, but I thought, "what am I a retard? Like I can't figure out how to use this thing". So I put everything together (while I was sitting on the toilet I might add) and hooked the thing up on the left side. I decided, since I was determined to nurse these babies of mine that I had to turn the thing on the highest setting to really get the milk-a flowing. After a couple of minutes it started to be very very painful. I turned it off, but the pump was still stuck to my uh, left one. Well, it turned out that there was an insert in the cone, I'm not sure why that blasted thing was ever invented! Well the insert had completely sucked my nipple all the way through and out the opening. It was like a very fat man with a size 46 waist buttoning up a pair of size 4 women's jeans. How was I going to get this thing off?! Well, I was in so much pain that I kind of forgot where I was (on the toilet) and I started calling frantically to Darin to come and help me. Yes, as soon as he saw me he started laughing at me with this thing trying to "strangle" my nipple as I am going to the bathroom. Well, after a lot of screaming and a lot of butter or lotion, I can't remember exactly what we used. It came off. I never touched that evil thing again. Okay, my question is the same as one I posted on my blog today. I am extremely sunburned on my back, shoulders and upper arms. It makes it very difficult to get dressed since anything that touches those areas causes me to scream in pain. So, how do I get dressed?

Camille said...

I tried an electric pump once with my first baby, it was the most painful experiend of my life! It went so far as to cause cracking and bleeding!! My sister-in-law offered to loan me her manual one. Me, thinking it would be the biggest pain in the rear...well actually boob (can I say that on your blog?) was against it, but found myself stuck in Park City with said sister-in-law, along with other women, engorged (can I say that word too?) and miserable. She happened to have it in her car, so I caved and used it. It was SO fantastic, not painful, super easy and fast, and did I mention NOT painful? I ran out and bought my own immediately. Does the fact that I shared a pump with someone make me disgusting? Desperate times call for desperate measures! I do not have a question for you, sorry to waste your time with my ramblings. :)

Keersten said...

Now our conversation this morning makes even more sense! Breast pumps are awful! You, on the other hand, are great! I laughed at you Anne Lee. I just want to know how to loose weight. I am so jealous of all you cute little skinny moms! Ali!!! I throw out a question when you are in a slump. Cute idea!

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

I've got a question for ya... since you appear to have some knowledge on almost everything, including Nauvoo.

We're heading there this summer, what is a "can't miss"? Remember, I have a 2 year old and a newborn... and we'll be there with family, which means several other babies. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh... and is there a grocery store in town?? And by chance do you know where the nearest Costco is? (now that's a strange question...)

Audra said...

Ali,

Maybe I have a problem, I like my breast pump and would rather pump than nurse. I am sorry to hear Sir Henry is having a hard time in the feeding department.

I don't know about a question, unless maybe you can tell me how to keep my now very mobile child from eating everything off the floor, I have to vacuum daily!

YOu blog is great!

Andrew Flegal said...

Waudra,

Henry's eating great. I had the problems with Eliza. I don't have a need for the pump and because of my bad memories from using it with Eliza, i've tucked it far away into our closet, where things disappear.

The Bengtzen Family said...

Dr. Ali,
My question is...
I have decided at 32 weeks pregnant, that putting on panty hose just does not work anymore. I tired putting them on this morning for church and it wore me out and PLUS I felt like I needed another shower after the hard task. BUT... I HATE pasty white legs with a passion! Do you have any suggestions for my problem OR do you know of any good self tanners out there that are not only good but cheap as well.

PLEASE HELP... Jayne

Anonymous said...

I just can't get my husband to see my point of view. Ever. I feel like we're never on the same page and we discuss the same issues over and over because our current communication is not working. How do I get him on my side to feel like we're more of a team?

You probably can guess who I am, but I prefer to remain anonymous.