Monday, May 26, 2008

A Day Out With Thomas - the Highlights

It all began with a love for her Thomas the train, snow boots; boots that she'd wear into the shower (if allowed), boots that she'd wear at the playground in 80 degree weather, boots that she enthusiastically showed off to the world, "Wook! Chooooooo's!"

...boots that she'd still be wearing daily if they hadn't magically disappeared a month ago.
"The" Boots

I knew something had to be done when she insisted that she wear them to Church. Thomas remained in her life by way of DVD following Henry's arrival. Soon after, toy trains were introduced, a wooden track, a fork and spoon set, a Thomas birthday party... we fed the obsession.

You can imagine my delight when I learned that Thomas was on his way to Heber Valley's railroad! Disneyland wouldn't mean much to her now in terms of excitement in seeing the characters... but the timing of seeing Thomas the Train, up close and personal, was nothing short of magic.I was "occupied" with Henry when Andrew first pointed out Thomas. I was unable to capture the first sighting as he pulled Eliza out of her car seat. The words; disbelief, wonderment and excitement sum it up well. Christmas morning was overwhelming, her birthday was fun, but THIS... this "day out with Thomas" was the most joy I've felt when seeing the world through her eyes.
All aboard!! While sitting on the train, we were "fortunate enough" to listen to a compilation of Trackside Tunes (the music from the DVD's). The kids around us were impressed to see me singing along. I was the cool mom. Look who decided to wake up for the ride! "Hi, Henry!"Eliza didn't have the patience to wait in line for a photo in front of Thomas; so we settled for our own version.
Before boarding the train, Eliza participated in several activities... we visited the imagination station and colored with sidewalk chalk,
(please note: her love for her red Deutchland hat had replaced the feelings for train boots)

checked out the miniature ponies (apparently we're in the market - refer to last blog entry) and got ourselves "inked" with our very own train tattoos - slightly embarrassing that I didn't have mine off for Church yesterday.However, I think the most memorable moment of our adventure occurred when Andrew informed me that he'd locked our keys in the car. Lovely. Lucky for us, Officer "I bleach my hair" was on hand to save the day. In terms of souvenirs, we came home with another Thomas t-shirt and a Thomas the train potty! I guess that means I'm 'officially' helping Eliza learn to use her potty. After speaking with our pediatrician, I am employing the "I'm here to help you" approach, rather than, "I'm here to make you do this." So far, she enjoys the "commando" life-style and is using it as a chair. She hasn't made a deposit yet.

I feel a tradition in the making in regards to our visit with Thomas. Here's hoping that Henry adopts his sister's love for trains!

11 comments:

Nikki said...

Marshall loves Thomas too and we went up to Heber to ride him last year, so fun! I have to admit I love Thomas a little too and don't mind him like I do other characters. I especially love the train sets, just make sure you don't get the lead ones.

Keersten said...

Very cute! I love the red hat.

Emily said...

My kids would have absolutely loved that! We have a video of A Day OUt With Thomas. They used to watch it all the time when we lived back in Kentucky. The love of Thomas has been passed on to the twins. They often ask to watch Thomas. Just don't watch Thomas and the Magic Railroad. It is so obnoxious and the acting is terrible, but your kids would probably like it and ask to watch it all the time. Ours "broke". Oops!

The Stanford Bunch said...

Awesome! That's so cute and fun! Good luck with the potty!!!

Audra said...

She is she pretty! That picture with her just looking, is gorgeous! You are the cutest little family. I think you are a cool mom too because you sing along with Thomas songs!

Anna said...

How fun, what a great day. I am always amazed at how much joy I feel when I see Emma so excited about something. Good luck with the potty, I am still trying to avoid even the thought of having to potty train. :)

Heidi said...

How funny. She really does love those trains. Such cute pictures. She is so funny.

Holly said...

Thanks Ali!!! I commented Erika... It helps to know that other babies have gone through this and have had success. I think it's time for us to hang out. I will give you a call soon!

Becca said...

She is such a little smarty-pants, I am sure she will have the potty figured out as soon as she has a desire to do so!! In answer to your question - Alyssa lives in Pocatello, but they were life-flighted to Primary Children's the day after he was born and they are still there, just waiting day after day for some new news! So I do get to see her every day now!

Natalie said...

How fun! Way to be the "cool" mom, knowing all the words and all. Lillie is a Barney fan (who would've thought I'd allow Barney in my home), but I quickly learned all the songs and Cory & I frequently get them stuck in our heads. I LOVE her boots! HA! They sure are fancy!

Paige said...

Thomas is a great character - one that isn't completely obnoxious. Polly's first love was Spiderman, although she never saw the movie, just wore the hat. She did have pink boots that got worn to church thanks to dad being in charge that morning - bad choice. I love the pictures & I don't think I would have waited in line (or paid - was it free?) to get a picture. Yours is perfect.
We are off to the lake. We'll have to get together next week or sometime soon!