Friday, May 2, 2008

Reflecting on a Graduate. Congratulations Andrew!

He deserves hundreds of balloons.He deserves a brass band, playing a song a triumph.
He deserves fireworks.Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a graduate in our family. And today I honor him.After TEN semesters together, here's a wife's personal reflection of things I'll remember:

Watching in awe as he delved and conquered each nasty looking, text- book.

The ugly phone call at the start of each semester, "Guess how much my books cost?"

The multiple, honor-related, scholarships he earned.

God bless pell grants.

I remember feeling guilty going to bed 4 hours before he did during his sophomore and junior years.

Inconveniently, I gave birth during the height of his stressful senior year. Eliza was kind enough to arrive during his week off between spring and summer semester in 2006 :)

Together we'd pray that he'd be able to retain information and quickly recall it before he'd take a test. The following day I'd receive an optimistic phone call saying, "I feel okay about things" (translation for: I aced it).

He took a risk and participated in the most beautiful internship possible - and invited Eliza and I along for the ride of our lives. We fell in love all over again last summer. Nine months following that trip to Germany, our souvenir, Henry arrived.

I've seen him sick with stress.

I've seen him meticulously balance work and studying. Without complaint.

Spending time with Eliza revitalized him, motivated him to work harder.

Despite his long absences, our love grew.

Despite my own personal whining, our love grew.

His college experience gave him knowledge, valuable engineering skills and a diploma. But the best thing, I feel we've received, is a group of friends that we'll four-wheel and jeep with for life!!

Phillips, Downers, Winegars & Kings - thank you.

Along the way, you and I were blessed with two beautiful children. Initially, our plan was to wait until after graduation to try for our family. Despite the fact that I quit a job I loved & forfeited our benefits to stay home and live off of your part-time employment - we begin our new life today without a penny in debt. To me, this is a miracle. It's a testament that we followed His will for our family. Thank you for carrying your burden & supporting me in our decision, that I stay home with Eliza & Henry.

Welcome back, Andrew. Congratulations!! I'm so blessed to be your wife. I look forward to this new and exciting chapter.Can it please include a washer and a dryer of our very own? Just a small request.

11 comments:

Alan said...

A beautiful post and a significant milestone. Congrats, Flegals :)

Becca said...

Congratulations! How exciting to be moving on to the next part of your life! And I love the picture at the end - so appropriate!!

Emily said...

Graduation is a very exciting thing! Congratulations!!! Many blessings for a successful future!

Keersten said...

CONGRATS!!! It is wonderful! You guys deserve a washer and a dryer and the house to put them in for all of your hard work! WahOOO!

Heidi said...

YAY! So happy for you. He is an amazing guy.

Unknown said...

halle-flippin-lujah!! congrats for BOTH of YOU! lol, That pic rox!

boo face mcjones said...

hooray! hooray! hooray!

'tis an event truly worth celebrating!

Samye said...

We LOVE graduates!

mark said...

Way to go Andrew! We are so happy for you. Doesn't it feel great to be done!

The Stanford Bunch said...

COngrats!!! What are you guys doing now? And, beautiful job on the blessing post, our boys were blessed on the same day. :)

Melissa and Allen said...

that is a sweet picture!