You may remember that Andrew opted to skip Graduation. Thanks to our friend, Emily, we were able to re-create the make believe moment after the fact. Thanks Em!
Looking back at the days following Andrew's graduation (*you know - the one he didn't attend), I noticed that he seemed anxious. After work, I'd see him fidgeting. He was overwhelmed with a false sense of needing to get something done for school. Soon after, he channeled that excess of energy into finding a job.
It's clear that the long process of saying "Goodbye" to our friends, family and neighbors has begun. When wearing the veil of denial, this process isn't painful. I know it's happening, but rarely do I feel that it is. I prefer numbness over heart ache. Avoiding my list of to-do's help me maintain above mentioned, state of denial; so here I sit.
On the other hand, my focused other half has been busy. At the moment, he is happily de-junking another box of junk he picked up from his Dad's garage. Never fear hoarders, I'm sure a hefty percentage of his junk - uh I mean, treasured goods, will make it with us to the South. Unfortunately, the fish tanks has found a new home... known as the D.I. (cue malicious laughter, MWAH-HA-HA). The fish re-located to our friend's tank.
I'm diverting from intended topic. My apologies.
I can't say that I'm surprised by Andrew's calm, relaxed demeanor as we prepare for this HUGE, life changing event. That's just how he rolls. He takes it all in stride (whatever that means, I'm not really sure). With that being said, I was somewhat surprised when I detected a trace of sadness in his voice after leaving a a recent BBQ with his college friends.
"I spent years with them, Ali." he quietly said.
And it's true. If you didn't count the time we spent together asleep, I'd wager that he spent more time with his college family studying than he did at home. Looking back - that's a whole lot of male bonding.
Andrew never joined a Greek Fraternity. To be honest, I don't know much about Fraternities and Sororities. I'm semi familiar with the process of pledging or "rushing" as I believe it's sometimes called and a batch of unfair stereotypes...but that's about it.
After observing his relationship with this particular group, I've decided that Andrew naturally fell into his own Geek Fraternity. A Fraternity I've respectfully named,
*Please know that this word "Nerd" is revered. It's a loving term of endearment in our family
The bonding began at SLCC. We witnessed and shared in life changing events; awkward first dates, engagements, weddings, new homes, arrival of babies, added lifts to off-road vehicles... you know, important stuff like that.
Knowing that they chose to spend time socially after spending hours together up at the U, was a testament to their friendship. Fortunately, they each ended up with a stellar wife; women I'm now lucky to count as friends.





6 comments:
I didn't attend my little college graduation either. Sometimes when I find my diploma still in the cardboard envelope the college mailed to me, I get a little sad that I was on the other side of the country during graduation. I may have to stage my own. I'm fine with it being a nerdy thing because I'm a nerd although not as smart as many nerds, but I'd like to be. I'm sure that being the friendly people you are, you both will make old friends out of many of your new acquaintances in NC.
I am so glad we had a farewell barbeque... it was alot of fun! Tyler even got some closure and said goodbye to "delicious bass" yesterday as we passed it and it's new smoking owner on fort union. We will miss you guys a ton!
That is awesome that you guys are moving to South Carolina. My husband is acutally from there, and would love to be moving back. I'm sure he would be jealous if he heard you were. And another thing to make this world small, my sister in law angie, works for your father in law. She is the receptionist. Kinda weird! but good luck to you and your family!
*Sara (stevens) Steele
It was inevitable I'd stumble onto this blog just as you guys are leaving the ward! I hope I get to see you before you go, but if not, what an adventure!!
I love the staged picture - I totally tried to do that with our Easter outfits & just got too lazy. It's totally acceptable & I doubt Lorin will go to his graduation since most of his classes have been online. Good luck with your adventure! So glad we are blogging buddies!
Wow, I think that was the perfect way to describe our husbands! Members of the "Geek Fraternity"! ha ha ha! They definitely speant a lot of time together these past few years - but I believe there could be no better group - the kind of guys I was happy to have my husband around 24/7. And I admit, we also went through some fun times... I'm pretty sure I was described as the "awkward first date/engagement" :) I'm so proud!
We had such a great time the other night, I think you also summed up our emotions as well!
We love you guys!
EMILY and DAVE
Post a Comment