Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Excitement

I should be packing. I should be cleaning the apartment. I should be focusing my efforts on something productive.

I'm restless. Typing this entry is taking an extraordinary amount of effort. And I can't figure out why. I could blame it on the excitement surrounding the recent purchase and signing of our home,

Or... perhaps, I'm still giddy with Eliza's continued potty successes....

But I'll be honest.I'm eagerly awaiting a major Twilight fix this weekend... I'm obsessed. I admit it. Go ahead and judge me.

Returning to the news of the day; our family has spent the last couple of nights sleeping in our home. Unloading my groceries into my kitchen from a garage of my own felt surreal.

Regarding our new home, I feel an overwhelming sense of responsibility; as well as extreme gratitude. Signing our mortgage made me feel more adult than having babies. I know, that sounds backwards, right? Meeting my children connected me spiritually to a holy place, but signing a mortgage stirs up feelings of --- oh, I don't know, bondage?! :)

It's strange. As I begin to pack up my belongings in our apartment, my feelings of homesickness are resurfacing. You'd think that living on cloud nine would smother such thoughts and feelings easily, but that hasn't been the case. I'm probably not making sense. But last night, as we took over our nightly load of boxes and furniture to a home I feel we don't deserve, I was near tears. I missed my family and friends so much. Weird timing, right?

As usual, there are other subjects to tackle, but my normal ability to download my thoughts seems to be clouded and blurred by all that is taking place this week. Hopefully after we're further settled and my Twilight obsession is satisfied, I'll feel more like myself.

I'll delve into the tactics/methods that I've practiced in helping Eliza to learn to use the potty because it seems that several of my friends are in a similar place. For now, all i can say is that I don't think there is a magical answer or formula because of individuality. What matters is that your child is ready and that as a parent, you are committed to helping them once you start the process. But the "readiness" factor, on your child's end, is key.

Oh gosh. I need a nap.

13 comments:

Camille said...

Let's focus on the positive...TWILIGHT!

Whit, Lindsey, Jonas, and Maggie said...

Oh I am so giddy as well! I have looked at everything possible. I couldn't stop myself. Hay for the house...it's beautiful!

Emily said...

Yay - you're in your house! That is so awesome, you definitely deserve it - you guys have worked so hard to get where you're at! I also am obsessed with Twilight - my awesome sis-in-law hooked us up with tickets this Friday, which happens to be my birthday! Happy Birthday to me! Let me know what you think about it!

EMILY

Stephanie said...

im right there with ya sister! ive got my midnight showing ticket waiting in the palm of my sweaty eager little hands :) i even blogged about it... wish we could go together!

Keersten said...

Who can blame you? (Obviously none of us!!) I agree with the feeling of responsibility/bondage. As well as the frustration of getting settled and the extra little expenses and the gaping holes where you'd like to put furniture that you definitely can't afford now that you have a mortgage, and... man, I need a nap too. ;-D

Ang said...

I am so excited that you have a garage! It is one of my most favorite things. It makes me feel so much safer.

Audra said...

Do you remember apartment bondage? It thought of that when I read about your feelings associated with signing a mortgage! It is a very grown-up thing to do. I want to go see Twilight with you! I remember seeing Harry Potter #2 with you and it was so fun!

Karen said...

You're in your house?! It seems like yesterday they were just starting the foundation. MAN! They're fast. Congrats on moving into your new home and enjoy Twilight this weekend!

Unknown said...

We just moved into our house yesterday, and i have the same feelings as you. best of luck getting everything moved in.

The Tate Family said...

Ali, Having a house will soon become your favorite thing! I am so sorry that you are homesick! But are you going home for Christmas? That will get you a little fix and Twilight? Are you kidding....no justifications needed, I am right there with you!

Betty said...

I want to talk Twilight with you for sure. In fact, I'm calling you right now.

nateandalliewilcox said...

I am so happy and excited for your family to have such a beautiful new home. You totally deserve it. Let me know if they have any good jobs for economic majors in the neighborhood!

Chris and Annalisa said...

Ali, your house is gorgeous! I'm so happy for you guys!

Just wanted to let you know that the whole "bondage" feeling that comes from having a mortgage payment hanging over your head every month does get better with time. Totally freaked me out too. You get used to it after a while and then you start to think, "hey, I can do this!" :)