It's about time that someone leaves me a nasty comment. In my observation, popular bloggers that claim loyal followings, will also attest to having a "hater" or two in their midst of readers.
WELL! Ladies and gentlemen,

I'm excited to report that I have my first one!!!
I'm sure they're not the first (or last) 'hater' to look at what I write with a critical eye; but I can say with absolute certainty that they're the first person that has offended me with their comment. And with that introduction, I'd like to share this hater's comment with the rest of the class.
Again, this was written in response to my announcement of Andrew's recent purchase of a 55 gallon fish aquarium. A certifiable (meaning, it wasn't Andrew) "anonymous" reader kindly wrote:
Would you like some cheese w/that whine? He's the one doing all the work for it. Stop your complaining.
Wow! How do you respond to that?
"Cheese? Absolutely; of the pepper jack variety, please."
I could cut the "cute" and fire back,
"Tell me, dear reader. How is that you know that he's doing all the work in maintaining it?"
*psssst... Absolutely, he's the one that cares for it!
Or I could return with the diva smack-down and say:
Last time I checked, this blog had my name on it; which, forgive me if I'm mistaken, gives me the right to:
- vent
- complain
- celebrate
- gush about my kids
- share
- record our history
etc.
etc.
If you don't appreciate my complaining, don't read my blog.
I hate feeling like I need to defend what I write, especially to a person who doesn't have the nerve to add their name when posting a comment of this nature (*cough, cough, COWARD, cough, cough). I don't consider my blog to be controversial. I try to keep the peace and remain low key when hot issues are being debated publicly. If anything, I need to find the courage to be more pro-active in sharing my views. Now who is the coward? Me, so I guess it looks like the meanie-faced hater and I share a commonality with the exception that I make an effort to uplift, compliment and thank those that I leave comments for. Go Ali, go.
But, here's the deal...
When I make the decision to post or share a marital dispute, please understand that Andrew is in on it. He's laughing along as I type. As a person who has a tendency to "over-share" - I know where that line is in keeping things private within our family. If I question it, I ask Andrew his thoughts, keep in mind what he's comfortable with me sharing, etc. He gives the green light.
"Should I blog about this? Should I not." - that type of thing.
But yes, it's true. I was upset that he purchased the aquarium when he knew that the size of it bothered me. As a human, things bother us. Call me a complainer... but that size of tank, bothered me! I was hoping for a compromise in the form of a smaller sized tank because I know how much Andrew loves staring at fish (or just the water and rocks).
Obviously, that compromise didn't come to pass. I let go of my frustration, decided it was better to laugh (and blog) about it and together, I chose artwork for our kitchen (spending personal Christmas money) as a trade. And being the good wifey-poo that I am, the artwork I chose is artwork that I happen to know he loves.
You don't need to tell me that I'm over reacting to the rude comment I received today, because I know that I am. It would have been better to delete the mean spirited remark and not waste my time dwelling on it again, but like I said, as a blogger... that first piece of "hate" mail or however you want to label it... is a right of passage.
Anyone else out there dealt with a hater before? If so, how did you react that first time your tender heart was hurt?
26 comments:
It's YOUR blog, it's YOUR right to vent, and it's YOU who's going to have to deal with the fishies, even if he sells you on the "best filter" and he'll clean it. Who gets to explain the Big Fish tank in the Sky to Eliza when your fishes learn the trick of floating on their backs for a few hours? Well, okay, most likely both of you, but still. You work dang hard, too, go ahead and vent away!!
I've only had snide remarks on my politics blog ... and they're so expected there they don't phase me. The frustrating thing is the ignorance they show -- that's what gets me the most. I don't think you were wrong to vent about the tank (Matt wishes I vented as gleefully as you did), and I don't think you're wrong now. Chalk it up to some odd person who was just having a really bad day.
p.s. man, that sounded grumpy ... didn't mean it to! I must be more tired than I thought I was!!
I only "know" you through Becca (Davis) Jones and let me tell you, I LOVE your blog! I read it all the time and never find it whiny at all . . . keep on posting!
A big fan in Mesa, Arizona
I know that you were not needing reassurance but I am going to give you some :)
I love your blog! I am always excited when you post something new and let's face it whining is part of life anyone who says they don't do it is full of it.
Keep it up!!
Oh man Ali. I get haters ALL THE TIME. See my post about Prop 8. Ahem. Enough said. Anyways, it hurts. And then I write some snotty post about it and laugh it off. Its YOUR blog and for every 1 hater there are many, many more that love what you have to say. I am happy to count myself in that group! Keep it up lady. I love reading your words. Love.
I'm with these guys...i LOVE reading your blog...why would you read someone's blog if you didn't care about them...and why would you write that...hum...i don't get it ;) i sure think you are great though!
wow. can we say "overreaction," chillins?
Ali-
It's a man, trust me.
Worry no further.
That is amazing! I have been thinking about my blog ALOT lately cause I dont feel like it is my own. there are a few people in my now-a-days that are a little unkind about my blog. (ok lets be honest, some of my family members, who dont have blogs, think that a post without a picture of melanie is a waste!) now I have been giving some serious thought into making my own blog just called " trina" so I can share my thoughts and happenings without the comments. I was going to pop onto your blog today and ask how you have the currage to write what you want. its just amazing to me that that is what I read today.
I got a rude comment once and since then I moderate the comments on my blog so I can censor out anything bad... I still have to read it but I don't have to let the rest of the world. Truth is that I haven't had another one since, but I leave the moderation on, just in case.
I think you handled it great. There will always be people who disagree with you--whatever the topic is. I am jealous you have enough of a following to have a hater. =)
I am sorry you have a hater! I like your blog a lot and love to read it! Keep up the good work!
oh man, the anonymous cut! why do people do that? honestly.
but i must say that i LOVE that you posted the actual comment because sometimes when people have a hater they just say it without telling their loyal readership what was said and this really satisfied my need to know.
you are so much cooler than that comment ali- (say this with a mobster accent) forget about it! :)
I think some people just like to try and get others all riled up. 50% of my conversations with my best friend are about things our husbands have done that have annoyed us. Both husbands are aware of this, and both know that our venting helps us get over whatever it was. My friend once noted that when we vent it's with the unspoken words, "Can you beleive what the man I love did?" I get that feeling from your posts. It's when that is missing and all that's left are complaints that you have a problem.
So vent away, and everyone but your "hater" will know that you love your husband, but just need to get it out.
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Andrew and I totally think we know who the "hater" is.I don't want to accuse them directly in case I'm wrong, but we have our strong suspicions. Hopefully, I'm wrong and it's a total stranger but I've got a hunch!
I love each of you.
Oh goodness. Obviously your hater must not know you very well, because you are NOT a whiner. You're like the Anti-whiner. And I'm so glad you put up posts like this last one--they help remind me that no one, even Ali Flegal, has a perfect life. So keep it up. I need a good laugh from you at least once a week.
Gotta love the Internet era--it's so easy to be snotty and mean when you're hiding behind the "anonymous" cover... I agree with you--cowardly. If you really feel like you need to make a comment like that, then just come out and say it. If you have to hide your identity, you shouldn't be saying it in the first place.
You're the best, Ali.
Ali- Your blog is amazing! I can't believe someone would do that. I have never had a hater before but now I know to maybe be ready for it someday. Thanks for the compliments on my blog. I put all of my pictures together in photoshop CS3 but I think you could probably do similar things with any scrapbook program. I wish I was as talented of a writer as you are!
You are funny. I love reading your blog. It makes me feel normal. Sorry for your hater. I feel you more and more as my marriage goes on and the farther I get from family. I like being able to feel like I somewhat know what is going on. Love you lots and lots. GIve your kids a squeeze. Why don't you make it so you don't allow annoymous comments? That would either out the person or prevent it from happening
I've had family members a few times leave comments that offend me, or make me feel bad. Depending on who it is, I roll my eyes, or I take a stab at theirs. Revenge doesn't make it any better, but it's just something I do if I'm mad. I agree with Betty above me. Don't allow anonymous comments. That seems to be a good way to fix it. I think you're awesome.
You can prevent anonymous comments. Just remove the option. I am with you though. It is your blog. You can do with it what you will.
Is the tank still fish-less?
Ok Ali and Andrew, Ive got to say that Im honored to think that you guy thought I was your hater. Or am I? Why do I get begged as the mean spirited sibling? Just because I almost blinded my brother as a child, ran over his skateboard and frequently prodded him to fits of uncontrolable rage.. Oh.. wait.. ok I get it now.. lol No seriously it makes me laugh that you narrowed it down to me and its TOTALLY NOT! Mr me is a lover not a fighter.. at least now that Im older n stuff.
Ali- I had one a couple of months ago and I emailed them back. I told them if they had no sense of humor, couldn't understand sarcasm or only had mean things to say then to STAY OFF MY BLOG! So far so good.
P.S. I have a sister who comments as anonymous with all her mean things to say to me. She doesn't know I know that it is her though.
"Last time I checked, this blog had my name on it; which, forgive me if I'm mistaken, gives me the right to:
* vent
* complain
* celebrate
* gush about my kids
* share
* record our history
etc.
etc.
etc."
Amen, Ali. Amen.
Post a Comment