Monday, February 15, 2010

Mush, Mush!

Fill in the blank.

Andrew is...A) training for a triathlon
B) coping with stress
C) a really, really fun Dad

My Mom, who was looking for an escape from the snow, woke up to a wonderland of beautiful white on Saturday morning. As for my dear spouse, the snow put him in an inspirational mood.
After tinkering for thirty minutes, he created a homemade toboggan. The kids were thrilled. Henry would have been content if it had never left the living room. Eliza, on the other hand, was itching to try it out.

The outdoor enthusiast. Like father, like daughter.

Before the coats were zipped and the boots were buckled, there was an important item of business to attend too...
Please note the flames on the right hand side of the image. Once they were satisfied with their job, we hit the front yard for the Flegal mushing tour. After the third run, I decided to take some footage and of course, they crashed.


"Let me tell you, crashing was not awesome."

So, we switched gears.
After our morning in the snow, I took another shopping trip (to Ross) with my Mom. That night we played games and watched a movie, courtesy of redbox.
My Mom left Sunday afternoon and you'd think that after being away from Utah for 18+ months, my capability to stifle back emotion would be better intact than it was. I securely adjusted my sunglasses before crumbling into a ball of emotional chaos.

Coming home, I made my way to the room where she'd stayed, inhaled the remaining scent of her perfume and all of the other cliche and over the top cheesy things sentimental shmucks like me do when they're missing a cherished loved one. I found myself on my knees, praying and thanking the Lord for blessing me with such a wonderful Mother.
A rosy cheeked Valentine

The day, overall, was incredibly special. I spent sometime journaling the 'old fashioned' way (pen and paper). Those lines welcomed my indulgence of all things schmooze and provided me a place to fold up and store the two cards I found hiding on my pillow and on my night stand.

4 comments:

Liz Green said...

Definitely c) a really really fun dad. I love Eliza's rosy cheeks and quite impressed with the snowman.

Keersten said...

So cute! The look on Andrew's face while working just made me miss you guys a ton! And wow, Eliza is starting to look like a big girl. She is so beautiful!

Ali said...

We miss you too Keersten, thanks for the comment. Liz, we didn't get quite the amount of snow that you did in NYC, but it was still enough to keep the kids (Andrew included) occupied for one morning.

Emily said...

Ha Ha! I love the tabogan (sp??)!! That is so ingenius! I'll have to show Dave... although that could cause some kind of competition between the two I'm sure! Glad you had so much fun with your mom! Mom's are the best!

P.S. I'm glad you got the Valentine's - I was pretty excited to send them because I could pass it off as Brooklyn sending them, but in reality I had a ton of fun! he he he