Saturday, May 19, 2007

First Date Jitters

Maybe I’m the only one who feels this way, but the “jitters” that accompany a first date don’t go away once you are married. The desire to make a good impression, to keep an interesting conversation going and to be asked out again are all feelings that I have whenever Andrew and I go out on a double date with another couple for the first time.

Tonight was the first night I left Eliza with a babysitter that wasn’t a Grandmother. Our neighbors arranged for a ward girl and her friend to come watch both of our kids. I won’t go into all the details, but the fact that I felt good leaving Eliza for the evening was a personal milestone.

We ate dinner at an Italian restaurant on top of a hill that overlooks the city of Landshut. It was great having Andrew there to help me read the menu. Things were going really well up until I turned around and noticed the large, nude male statue directly behind my head. Michael and Andrew noticed the statue the same time I did and we burst out laughing. Following dinner, we went to a castle. I enjoyed walking around. We took pictures and were simply enjoying one another's company. We laugh a lot when we are with Michael and Johanna and up until this point I would suggest that our first “date” as couples was going perfect… That is until we reached the doorstep… the dreaded doorstep scene.

Something I ate for dinner made my stomach somewhat “unsettled” and as the conversation began to lull I let out a loud (I can’t believe I’m about to type this word…) TOOT. I passed gas and Andrew failed to obey Flegal Family rule #22 which states: If Ali publicly passes gas, Andrew is to either blame the noise on a duck or fully take the blame for himself.” All he could do was laugh and say, “I can’t believe you just did that”

Since crawling into a hole was not an option, I took our leftovers inside the house. When I returned I still was giggling out of awkward embarrassment. And then, a few minutes later, I thought they were preparing to go home so I blurted out one of the 8 phrases I know which was, “Bis Morgen!” – meaning, “we’ll see you tomorrow.” They looked at me in confusion so I automatically assumed I had used the phrase out of context. Basically they weren’t on their way home but my comment quickly shooed them away. Oops, my mistake!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually can't stop laughing. The look on your face is great Ali! We miss you guys a ton, but it is hilarious to read about your (mis)adventures. Sie gehen Freundin!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!! Now Mom isn't the only girl in the family that likes to "crack one off" in public.
I will be reluctant to come to a family dinner when you get home.