Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Toothbrushes and tootsie rolls: Eliza begins school

After discovering Eliza and Henry's toothbrushes on their pillows this morning, I assumed that they had been there all night. My suspicion proved true as Eliza informed me that her toothbrush, whom she recently named Eleanor, had been the one to make the request.

Well, then. Nice to meet you, Eleanor. What can you do for my child's morning breath?

As visions of toothpaste and dental floss danced through their heads last night, mine was completely vacant. Despite putting myself to bed at 9:30, sleep taunted me from a distance. As I lay awake, I (falsely) told myself that resting your eyes is nearly as beneficial as an actual REM cycle.

Apparently I'm still affected by the hype that surrounds the year's first, "school night." Not to mention, I'm 31 weeks pregnant. I've hit the "nocturnally challenged" phase of pregnancy due to an increase of physical discomfort. The only remedy is to give birth and considering the change associated with newborns, I would say that the odds of having a solid night of sleep won't be in my favor for awhile.

Despite the fatigue, I am happy.


The reports are in! She had a GREAT first day of preschool!

Our drive to school was filled with her excited chatter. Her enthusiasm poured right back into the van after picking her up. The preschool door-step scene was seamless. Eager to begin her day, we parted ways after she sped through a series of hugs and kisses. As she made herself comfortable next to a box of crayons, Henry and I quietly exited her classroom.

My eyes began to swim with tears. Not knowing what to do with myself, I scooped up my remaining child and smothered him with a boat load of affection.

"I love you, Henry."

"No, I love YOU, Mama." We argued in that manner all the way back to the car.

"I was so brave." I told a friend as we waited in line to pick up our kids. There's a newly opened bag of tootsie rolls on the counter as a reward for said bravery. Walking back into the house, Eliza asked,

"Mom, did you and Henry have a nice time without me?"

"We did." Not wanting to her to feel left out, I kept my explanation low-key. "Henry and I spent time at the library and then ran a quick errand. We had a good time, but we missed you."

"Oh." Was her simple reply. "I didn't miss you at all."

Splendid.

9 comments:

Nikki said...

She looks so happy and excited! Your tree is gorgeous too, I love the bright color.

*Jess* said...

LOL! Childhood honesty! Gotta love it!! :) So glad it went well!

Michelle said...

You made it through the first day!! Only how many more to go?! It is going to be a fun year for the little kiddos.

Ami said...

m I'm so glad she had such a great first day! She looks so cute, and SO grown-up. Good job on surviving the morning!

Audra said...

Oh that is so funny and a little sad! I'm glad she had so much fun she wasn't sad, but I bet she missed you!

Catherine said...

For my nausea that lasted the first 6 months of my pregnancy, my dr recommended vitamin B6 and a half of a Unisom, which is a sleeping aid. It helped a ton! And since I still had some Unisom left over, I asked my dr recently if I could take it now while I'm in my last trimester since like you, I can't sleep very well. He thought it was a great idea, and told me not to worry about becoming addicted to it or anything. I only take a half pill every night, but I actually sleep 8 hours or more. Heaven! So I would strongly suggest it, Ali! Better sleep has also helped me deal with my wild pregnancy emotions better. lol :)

PS) Eliza is QUITE adorable and grown up. I love that girl!

The Tate Family said...

That is hilarious! Ali, you are too funny! Eliza's not too shabby in that department herself!

HAYHAY said...

I really do love the way you write. Elenor ha...that cracks me up. Man these kids are growning up too fast aren't they? Both your kiddos are beatiful...great picts.

Laura said...

Classic, I love it! Would it help if I told you that I miss you?!! Probably not, ha ha!