Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I should be packing.

My plate is full.

And sadly, the "plate" that I'm referring too doesn't involve food.
(awesome meatloaf recipe found here)

That
I could handle. Easily.

The idea of recapping all that last week entailed makes me want to take a nap. As much as I would like to remind my future self that last weekend was CRAZY busy, I'm just going to have to take my word for it.

However, there is one experience that I'd like to have documented. Last Saturday, my family and I attended our friend Jennifer's baptism.

Alma 5:26:

And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?

Not wanting to belittle her experience with my over-use of verbal cheese, I have to say that I could hear her song. She was filled with such a bright light. These past few months, it has been our privilege to watch her learn, accept and act.

The adversity she's endured prepared her to receive the message of the restored gospel. As she once explained, she came to know her Savior through those trials. When those Elders knocked, she was ready because (and this is my opinion) she had already made Christ apart of her daily life. She's amazing and I feel that my happiness for her is about to spill over.

The few of us who attended were blessed. She bore her testimony in the moments following her baptism. Her words penetrated my heart. At that moment, I wanted access to her level of joy. I know what weaknesses hinder me and I know what I can do to remedy them. Her example of faith and diligence has motivated me to be a better latter-day saint.

The only 'low point' of the meeting came courtesy of my four year old child. Eliza was sitting front and center with the rest of the children when Jennifer was baptized. It alarmed her greatly to see Jennifer fully submersed in the font. Eliza bolted from the floor over to where Andrew and I sat.

"I NEVER, EVER WANT TO DO THAT!" She exclaimed. Thankfully, the moment wasn't entirely tainted by Eliza's reaction, but it definitely didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the attendees. As for Eliza, she's made it clear every day since Jen's baptism that she will not be participating in that ordinance. Ever.

Oh Eliza! She's been on my case lately. Apparently, her request that I make her a "Welcome Home" sign from preschool was actually an expectation. Monday afternoon, I fulfilled that duty. She was thrilled by it.

As for Henry, his latest catchphrase has become a fast favorite.

"Cuddle me up!" He'll instruct. Happily, I obey. Nestling under my arm with that blue blanket of his (note to self: it's in desperate need of a washing), he melts into his human cushion of a Mother. Does he know that life's about to change? He says "Hi Baby Sister!" regularly. Wondering how her arrival will affect him, I snuggle him closer. Out of no where, he starts tickling my belly.

"I'm tickling baby sister!!" He giggles. I kiss his head, breathe in his scent and wish his need for me would last forever. And while he tries my patience and challenges me every day, he has a special gift of making me forget.

And on that note, it would be nice to conclude with saying that it's back to "business as usual," for the Flegal family; but it's not.

(Typical Flegal Business)

Wednesday morning my doctor gave me the green light to fly to Utah for my brother's wedding! The news that the pregnancy continues to go well was happily received. However, it's with trepidation and caution that I begin our travel preparations. It would seem that my ears have been a magnet for freaky, fluke-type, premature and/or incredibly painful labor stories. And while I respect these brave Mothers deeply, I would like to remain a non-member of the "I thought I was going to die but then I gave birth" club.

(**Ali knocks on wood**).

Read my friend Stephanie's heroic story here (unless you're pregnant).

Despite my heightened nerves, I can't wait to waddle down the terminal and hug that cute Mom of mine. Oh how I miss her. Our time in Utah will pass by too fast (as usual) and before I know it, I'll be heading back to the South to NEST!!

6 comments:

Samye said...

You will have nothing exciting happen during your travel...all will be just fine...nothing abnormal...

Keep telling yourself that. I flew on a plane at 37 weeks when I was pregnant with Bennett and nothing abnormal happened (I will share my dreams prior to flying at another time). Have fun at the wedding!!

Jennifer Anne said...

Yeah!! We can't wait to see you! I love Eliza's reaction to baptism. Classic! Sorry the basement won't be ready this time... maybe next time!

Audra said...

Good luck with your travels! I am happy for Matt. I hope sweet Eliza either forgets or changes her mind in 4 years!

Keersten said...

She is one cute girlie! I am sure tat everything will be great while you are here. We are excited to have you close for a bit. The girls loved seeing Eliza!

Natalie said...

OH my goodness stephanie's story is crazy! I hope everything continues to go well with you! I am excited for you to have three! crazy I just can't imagine being ready for three at this point, I am sure it will come eventually:) Your kiddos are adorable and I hope you have tons of fun at home! It is hard to live so far away.. I hated living across the country from my family:) Las Vegas is much better:) oh and P.S Las Vegas is notorious for it's absolutely horrible healthcare one of the top three worst states... That is actually why I finally went up to SLC to get things taken care of.. My doctor told me to my face I wasn't a priority and that I would just have to live with my kidney stone until I became a priority.. what a bum. Because of that doctor I had major damage in my ureter.. anyway. Your poor friend, you can pass a long the info that she's better off going to another state for care...

Chris and Annalisa said...

First of all, I've been looking for a good meatloaf recipe and I'm sooo going to try that one!

Secondly, your kids are adorable. The part about Henry snuggling up with you made me teary for some reason. They grow too fast!

Thirdly, DONT READ BIRTH STORIES/PREGNANCY BLOGS WHILE YOU'RE PREGNANT! :) Best advice my sister-in-law has ever given me. And I hope you remain a non-member of the aforementioned club as well. :)