Monday, April 27, 2009

"This is Not the Beach!"

.... And we're back! With my Mom in tow, we set off last Saturday for a little beach vacation.

It was simply delightful.

The End.

Just kidding. Oh, come on. I'm fully justified in the pictorial assault that is about to occur. It was Eliza and Henry's first trip to the ocean. And, as I already mentioned, we were fortunate enough to have my Mom as our special guest. Therefore, this post will be fraught with images of children frolicking in the waves, sandcastles towering high above the competition, skin - whiter than snow - and...

Oh, hey there, Henry! What's the smirk for? (pause) I see. You're still laughing at your sister. Is that right? Yes, yes. I remember. I'm that bad Mom who let her daughter play in the sun for the first 1/2 hour of the trip,

Broadway at the Beach

before bathing her in sunblock. A sunburned face ensued. Her little face swelled like a balloon. Her eyes seemed to shrink. Her face, I'm ashamed to say, became a great source of laughter.

Exhibit A:


Mama & Eliza with their twin swollen faces. Sad news is, Eliza's went away and mine hasn't.

After boycotting a nap on Saturday afternoon, we took the kids out for their first taste of the ocean. Henry couldn't get enough of the beach. Exhausted, he fell asleep while making the rounds on the lazyriver.The night concluded with a return to Broadway at the Beach. We fed ducks, had dinner, window shopped and enjoyed fireworks; with the exception of Eliza. She spent the majority of the show with her head buried in Andrew's chest; plugging her ears and complaining about the noise.

Sunday was somewhat blissful. The weather was the right amount warm combined with the perfect touch of wind. We began the day with plans to make pancakes and scrambled eggs. Enter the problem. I neglected the PAM!

  • Pancake Mix (check!)
  • Eggs (check!)
  • Pam and/or butter - CRAP
"Andrew! Hit the breakfast buffet. See if you can weasel us a few packets of butter. Take Henry. He's cute. They may be more inclined to give it to you."

"Butter? We need butter. I have an idea." This was his idea. Introducing, "Movie Theater Pancakes." We hijacked the butter out of a microwave popcorn package. And you know what? It worked fabulously. As my Mom and I worked the pancake experimentation, Andrew and Henry were successful in their hunt for butter. And, as I predicted, his cuteness scored him a free beach ball from a generous little girl in the elevator. After a morning on the beach/pool, the kids took a serious nap. Following which, we broke the Sabbath as we paid three bucks to walk the Apache pier. That evening, we bid farewell to our beach that night during sunset.

Before hitting the road Monday morning, we made a stop to Ripley's aquarium. It was impressive. A good time was had by all.
As we pulled in the driveway this afternoon, Eliza peered out her window.

"Hey!" she shouted. "This is not the beach!" After four hours in the car, Eliza was shocked when we ended up in our driveway. Thinking she'd be thrilled to be free of her car seat, she clenched her hands and informed us all,

"I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE BEACH!"

*Cue tantrum.

14 comments:

Melissa and Allen said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I'm glad that your hotel didn't burn down like all of those houses...

Am I really the first to comment? Usually I'm like #367

Jen Bowen said...

I'm surprised the butter from the popcorn packet thing actually worked. From what I've read it seems like a very Andrew solution :).

Keersten said...

That sounds like so much fun! That first pic of Henry is excellent! And Meg can relate to Eliza. I often get a "No! Not home!" When we turn onto Evergreen. (oh boy)

*Jess* said...

How fun!! now I can't wait for our trip! Except we won't go until July, blah!

Liz Green said...

How fun that you guys got to make a trip to the beach/ocean. Thanks for the butter idea. Now I'll know that if I ever run out of pam and butter, I can dig into my numerous bags of popcorn we have stashed in the kitchen cupboard.

The Tate Family said...

Sounds just like Bo. He LOVES the ocean too!

Catherine said...

What a perfect family vacation, complete with your cute mama. I LOVE those first couple pics of Henry...so handsome! And that's such a great picture of you and Andrew on the beach together. What a cute couple!

Chris and Annalisa said...

Ali, your swimsuit is adorable! What a babe.

Michelle said...

When do we get to go to the beach together?! This Fall would be perfect. Think of the Sand Castles we could build with Andrew and Jimmy, oh and the kids too. I'm glad you guys had fun and that your back.

Emily said...

Oh man! That looks like so much fun! A perfect advertisement for coming to visit you and also visiting the beach - we are so coming to see you! (We might have to wait for the baby to be a little older - but you make it sound and look so great there!)

Unknown said...

Henry is too cute! And seriously - I don't blame Eliza for demanding the beach, I sure do. Ahh, beach weather...

Er Bear said...

You have the cutest kids on the planet... those eyelashes are to die for! come visit us and you can play at the beach whenever you would like:)

Paige said...

Looks like fun! I'm glad your mom could visit :)

P.S. I love your Costco shirt - I wore the same one to Wicked this weekend! haha! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.