Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Not an April Fools Day Joke

"It won't fit in the van. I'm going to borrow Gabe's truck." He said.

Looking back, I realize that statement was a red flag.

Andrew's a project oriented person. I respect that about him. He has an idea and will work incredibly hard until that idea has been brought to fruition. Back in the day, the majority of his "projects" revolved around a 1983 4-runner. The time he spent working on the 4-runner was necessary to keep the ancient beast running. Sadly, we sold our beloved vehicle when we left Zion, I mean Salt Lake, last summer.

The aquarium was a beginning of the year project that I made public. Up until now, I've kept my mouth quiet about the fact that HE SOLD THE AQUARIUM two weeks ago. Is anyone else in the mood for a survey? Good.

Why do you think Andrew sold the aquarium?

A) His wife nagged him to death. He couldn't stand it anymore.
B) To his surprise, he didn't spend time looking at it. "I'm not enjoying it the way I thought I would."
C) His fragile frugal nature was somewhat unnerved, knowing that the aquarium was raising our monthly energy bill.
D) He wanted to replenish his "personal" spending fund for an up and coming project.

If you chose "A" - you don't know my husband very well.

Absolutely I nagged him (at first), but he firmly withstood my complaints. My attitude changed. I grew to appreciate, on a small scale, the fish (bu-dum-CHING!). I told our miniature schools of fish that they scored the fish kingdom lottery.

The fact is, and Andrew would back me up on this statement, I tried to talk him out of selling the aquarium. It grew on me. The kids and their friends loved it. Inspired by my friend Angela's idea, I had plans "decorate" the room with a fish theme. Most of all, I was concerned that Andrew would miss it. I thought I had convinced him to keep it. The next day, while he was at work, I asked him on the phone,

"So, have you thought much about our conversation about the aquarium?"

"Not at all actually. I guess that means I should go ahead with the sale."And now the room is empty and sad. The other reasons I provided were indeed factors in his decision to sell it.

Andrew spends time on Craigslist, looking for who knows what. That question was answered last night as he made is way to a Burger King parking lot to pick up his next project.

You want to see it?



He plans to use it to gather & store rain water. Then, he'll transplant it to water our garden. Smart cookie right? It's just massive. "Vines will cover it" - mmmmkay. He keeps surprising me, that's for certain. It keeps a marriage interesting.

As I look out the window and see this (this location is temporary - it's final resting place will be outside the kitchen window),

330 GALLONS - the fish aquarium was 55

I smother the urge to feel annoyed by remembering all of the reasons why I love him.
The weather... it's been raining, but on Monday, I was able to sit on the patio. Our screen door was open so I could listen for the kids on the monitor as they napped. After resurrecting a tank top, I sat outside and *gasp* got some sun. I actually have a line. That's not an April Fools Day joke either.

15 comments:

I'm A said...

Oh. My. Gosh. You could charge an entry fee for the neighbors to come see that!

Adam and Julie H. said...

Wow! 55 gallons to what, 330? Well it will definitely save on your water bill for your garden.

Camille said...

Wow, that is fantastic!

Ami said...

I can't wait to see what he'll bring home next!

A and M's Mom said...

I swear Erik and Andrew must be related. Erik asked me this weekend if he could put one of those things at the end of all of our four gutter drains!

Betty said...

AH HA HA AAH HA HA. We should have warned you Ali. I can't help but laugh. I am sure it will come in handy somehow.

Audra said...

At least its outside! I love the video, just back yard and then bam! Look at this huge thing!

Teresa McCormack Flegal said...

Well, I would say you have some water stored. Might not be able to drink it, but flush toilets, bath, water the garden. That's what is so fun about Andrew. You just never do know what he's cooking up. Love that boy, and I'm glad you do to.

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

you crack me up! i love it... and vines will totally cover that {yeah right!}:)

Megan said...

my guess was to save money on the energy bill, but another project was my second guess. andrew is still the same, but we always had something to do when he was around, never a dull moment.

Catherine said...

What WILL Andrew come up with next? That is the question of the century. At least he's really creative, Ali! ;)

Michael Auras said...

Andrew! You are my man! This is super-smart!!! Water storage is very useful. You could dig it in the ground too and drain the rain water into it.

I am loving it. Was close to buy one for us some years ago.... Maybe I should do now :)

Liz Green said...

Sounds like a nifty idea. I'm excited to see how it works when we come out to see you next month.

Keersten said...

Hey now, don't knock the goodness of craigslist junk-er-treasure finds. ;D Pretty impressive to move from a pretty power sucker to one (eye sore?? hehe) water bill saver. You ARE the man, Andrew!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.