Friday, May 21, 2010

Ordinary Frustrations

I begin today with the evolution of a picky eater.

Our dearest Eliza has always liked to eat. The introduction of rice cereal was easily accepted. Being the "wise" first time parent, I introduced vegetables first. Her baby food preferences, may look similar to your own child's (past, current or future).

  • Carrots
  • Sweet Potato
  • Squash
  • Pears
  • Peaches
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Fruit medley
  • etc.
I wasn't losing sleep over the fact that she rejected the jar of strained peas. How could I hold such an expectation when my own eye balls watered at the smell? The introduction of table food followed with smashing success. I felt like I was officially apart of the Mom Club when "frozen chicken nuggets" became a regular item on my grocery list.

BLAST THOSE CHICKEN NUGGETS!
I now say.

Mentally checking my time line, we're now hovering around her first birthday. I nursed both of my children until they were 15 months of age for one simple reason; I am a sentimental schmuck who has a hard time letting go. Knowing she was still receiving those nutrients and over all accepting much of what we offered, my Mom ego was fully intact.

While living in Germany (Eliza age 12-14 months), we had limited freezer space. Those dangerous and addictive (I'm being dramatic) child staples weren't available. My cooking repertoire expanded, Eliza was eventually weaned (a positive pregnancy test will do that to you) and my expectation remained the same.

We returned to the States. I was over confident that her eating patterns were established. My new found love for cooking diminished. Our little apartment didn't have a dish washer, the counter space was limited and I swear, the sink was NEVER free of dishes. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. Living there, with a Grandmother we cherish, was a huge blessing that enabled me to stay at home full time. It's a poor excuse but I soon chose easy over effort when it came to meal time.

My golden girl who could do no wrong suddenly started to refuse common food items. An example that comes to mind is scrambled eggs.

"What the heck?" I'd think aloud. She ate them almost everyday in Germany.

"You had these last week!" Smiling back at me, I'd imagine her mental reply,

"Mom, I don't remember what happened five minutes ago." And just like that, if she didn't recognize something, she wanted nothing to do with it.

I was at a loss. And still am.

I went to my sister for advice. I consulted her Pediatrician. I GOOGLED!!!

Apparently, it is "normal" for a child to have a picky phase. Eliza was normal. Whatever that means. The guilt I felt didn't abate. Around "age 4" a child's eating habits return. Or so I read.

Her passion for eating never went away. Her list of what she would eat was still full of healthy choices, but the fact that she wouldn't try something new was beyond frustrating. My endeavor to cook healthy meals, although simple, returned. When we moved to the South, I REALLY embraced the power of a kitchen. My husband is profoundly grateful. I no longer shrink form a recipe that calls for a clove of garlic or a sprig of Rosemary.

My goal last year was to make dinner time a look forward to event. If I cooked one meal for Andrew, Henry and myself and gave Eliza a cup of applesauce and a few pieces of turkey, all was well. For the past year, I've written meal plans in two week intervals. For Henry's sake, they include familiar menu items as well as new. If we're having left overs, I may throw open a can of corn to accompany the dish.

"See Henry... THIS IS CORN! Remember, how you LOVE corn? Oh great, YOU STILL DO!!"

Part of his willingness to try may be a little piece of genetic awesomeness. Echoing his Grandmother, Andrew will say:

"Henry just knows what's good" as we watch him pick a sugar snap pea straight from the garden. THE KID EATS EVERYTHING. Whatever is green on his plate is consumed first. Still, I believe that Henry is doing his part because his Mom learned her lesson.

As for Eliza...

She is the first to ask how soon until it's time for snack at preschool. Of her friends, she eats the most (usually). She is also the most fierce in her rejection when something is offered that she doesn't have a memory of eating. Sometimes I lie to her (*GASP*) and tell her that she has had that before and that she liked it (ie: muffins). Occasionally, it pays off and she'll eat it. And you know what? I FEEL NO REMORSE for my deceit.

Now that she's four, Andrew and I have decided that my days of making "two dinner meals" are over. After spending hours on a meal, I'd stand back and think,

"Okay, great. Now what am I going to make for Eliza?" It's been incredibly annoying, but dinner time has been consistent and pleasant.

We tried the "force her" route. That involved her crying at the table for hours. She'd ask to sit in my lap and snuggle. Wanting to please us, she'd take a bite of something new. Ladies and Gents, she's honestly terrified. After eons of time, she chokes it down. A half second later, she throws it back up.

Our new method goes something like this:

This is what Mom made for dinner. Please try it. If you don't try it, you can't eat until breakfast tomorrow.

Some parents will judge us as being too harsh, others will say we've been to soft. I'd agree with both parties! Is it silly that this is what my prayers have revolved around? I am striving to learn what it means to qualify for personal revelation and how to receive it. My primary reason for doing so is because I need divine help in helping this sweet child have the courage to eat better. Not to mention, Henry is well equipped with his own set of challenges (a blog for another day). The bottom line: Motherhood is hard.

Our nights continue to be pleasant despite her consistent dinner time rejection. Dinner has been lonely without her cheerful countenance as she'll opt to sulk in another room. I'll look at Andrew and tell him that I miss her. After a family walk and quick bath, she soon asks for a piece of bread. My will power wanes. Andrew quickly reminds me that if I give in, she'll reject dinner every night knowing that she'll receive a piece of bread.

Last night, as Andrew and Henry finished their dinner, I headed upstairs to print off my grocery list for my bi-monthly shopping trip. I found Eliza wrestling with her personal demons on the stairs. We had a conversation about how Heavenly Father will help her to be brave as she learns to try new food. I encouraged her to go tell Him all about it. She asked a few questions and our little chat ended.

As I waited for my document to print, I leaned over the railing to see if she was still there. I observed that her face was buried in her arms. She was in a kneeling position. I realized that she was in the middle of following through on my suggestion. I wanted to cry as I listened to her pray.

"Thank you Jesus for helping me to be brave to try new food..." My heart soared and ached. I prayed along with her; hoping that my faith would add something to hers. Still, she opted against her plate of food.

We've tried the reward system, fully entailed with a sticker bite chart. Andrew offered the following.

"If you try some dinner, we'll go to the swimming pool."

"I don't want to go swimming." She simply replied. And then last night I said;

"If you try some dinner, I'll buy a big box of chocolate pudding at the store." I saw her resolve waver. She might cave! Oh the holy cup of chocolate pudding; a true favorite. I'm being completely honest when I say that she'd prefer a batch of shots at the Doctor's office over trying new food. It scares her that much.

I understand that other Mom's are dealing with issues and problems on a scale that are so much greater than this. As much as this frustrates me, I realize that there will come a time in my life where I'll laugh to think that one of my deepest frustrations came from the uneaten food on the plastic green plate.

The obvious plea remains: do you have any suggestions, if not wish us luck!

13 comments:

Jen said...

I wish I had the perfect answer for you. Your dear niece Kaitlyn remainds me a lot of Eliza, new foods are NOT to be trusted! I've tried all the things you have and we are at the same place, if they choose not to eat the dinner I made they choose to be hungry till morning. It has worked pretty well, even with Scott. My pediatrician did say not to make eating into a battle with kids because they will usually win. Giving them the choice has seemed to work the best for us, but it is soo sad when they come up to you and say they are starving and just want a little bread.....
BE STRONG!
Can't wait to see you soon!

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

I am right there with you... with Jacob. Reading Eliza's reactions to dinnertime sound all too familiar. I wish I had some good suggestions for you. We've finally arrived at the "this is what we're having for dinner, if you don't eat you have to wait until breakfast" as well. It's not going over so well, but I don't know what else to do... I can no longer make two meals.

If you get some good advice I'll have to try it too... until then GOOD LUCK! ;)

Ali said...

Oh my gosh, I love you both for your comments. The support, the support! You'd think I was suffering from something awful, but having two people I admire so much say they're in a similar camp gives me strength.

Ang said...

Sounds like a mini me. Sorry, no advice other than to say that I've never met anyone besides myself that didn't grow out of it. I'm still terrified. ;)

Samye said...

Be strong! At our home you get a little of everything on the table. If you choose not to eat it that is fine, but there will be nothing until breakfast. Bennett struggled with this for sometime until he realized it was doing nothing for him. He wouldn't eat, come back 20 minutes later and we would set the same plate in front of him with the same food. Don't wash her plate until she goes to bed...that way it will always be the same. EVENTUALLY she will eat, and if not remember it is HER choice. "Oh sweetie, I am sorry you chose to not eat your dinner, you are welcome to get down but there will be nothing else". You are not the bad guy, she is making the choice as to whether or not she eats. We try the whole- for every choice there is a consequence and you just happened to make a not so good choice!

When I know that one of the kids will struggle with dinner I often will make dessert that they like, and when the whole family is enjoying the dessert (torture I know) they will gulp down dinner REAL quick. Good luck, don't give in- and don't make her extra meals- she is a big girl.

(know that I love you and have gone through this struggle too)

BnK said...

Personal revelation is hard. I think it is even harder when it affects others. Good luck. We too will pray for success.

A and M's Mom said...

Aidan and Marian sometimes don't want to try new things. Our house rule is that you must take one bite of everything on your plate. If you don't like it you don't have to eat any more, but you will not be served anything else. If they truly show dislike for a certain food I do try to respect that. I for one gag if I try to eat a raw carrot, so I'd be a hypocrite if I forced them to eat things they have tried and don't like.
Of course like all kids sometimes their taste is just perplexing. They both love sushi, but won't eat stuff like hamburgers.

Audra said...

I remember talking to you on the phone about this. I think our daughters are very similar. I was also making two meals. One for the family and one for Kate. I have since given that up. She gets the same things as us. Just smaller amounts. She also can choose to eat it or go to bed hungry. If her dinner is consumed to my liking and her ability, I proceed with the desert for the evening. If her dinner is left on her plate, then no one eats dessert and she goes to bed without anything else but water.

She has gone to bed many times without eating dinner. She sleeps fine and wakes up and eats breakfast just like normal.

It has taken several months but most night she tries to finish her dinner.

Daniel is going to be my good eater, at least I pray he is.

Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! That is hard. Me and my three sisters were always super picky. Now two of us are fine and the other two well they are still about the same. I remember as a kid having a kids cook book. It made trying new things fun because I could look through and pick a fun new thing to help make. Don't know if that would help.

Serity said...

No suggestions, but oh how I sympathize!

CarrieAnne said...

My mom had a 3-bite rule. You had to eat three bites of whatever she made for dinner, 3 bites of everything that she made, not just the main dish. If you still thought it was gross or had no desire, you could have a sandwich but not until you took three bites of everything. Maybe that would work? Good luck...

Camille said...

Brielle has been a very picky eater as well. When she threw up after I made her eat a big bite of something I decided it was time to back off. Now I try to make sure that at least something at dinner is something I know she'll eat well (rolls, a certain fruit, salad etc.) so I know she is at least getting something to eat. We also have used dessert as the reward too, which works a lot better in her mind then saying if she doesn't eat she won't get anything at all. We don't expect her to finish her plate off, just at least eat some of everything on her plate. I also think a lot of it is a phase too. She is now starting to at least try everything which has been GREAT Good luck! It IS hard and a pain. Plus, who wants to feel like they're making their kid go hungry?

Nikki said...

Was this an unintentional pun... "introduction of table food followed with SMASHING success?" Because "smashing" is all Coen does with his food. I fear I have my own Eliza at our table!! I told myself from the time I was 12 that I would NEVER make a second meal for a kid who wouldn't eat. And I haven't, not once, ever. He starts throwing food for whatever reason, he's full, he doesn't like it, he's finished, whatever, I clear the plate, wipe him off and set him free. I do try to make the next snack or meal something I know he'll like, just so the kid has *something* to eat all day. He's always been small on the scale, so I do worry. But he's happy and so I don't worry too much. Okay, that was a lot of rambling, sorry. But what I want to say is, I do it too. Make him wait until the next meal that is. Good luck!