Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Remaining Details; all 10,000 of them.

This morning Eliza asked, "Am I still four, Mom?"

Their childhood is passing by too fast. It's true. Even though the 4:00 o'clock p.m. hour is mysteriously and painfully slower than the other hours that fill a day, looking back at the past four years, I'm somewhat frightened that it has gone by that fast. This post wasn't meant to be a sentimental, "Oh, how I love her" ballad of thoughts. Rather, it's my intention to quickly (*wish me luck*) recap, via photos, her special day.

Returning to her question, I happily informed her that she was still four; both of us sighed in relief. In response, she reminded me that her "second birthday" (her upcoming birthday party) is only "three sleeps" away.

My "still" four year old

My kind, kind friend Michelle agreed to watch Henry so Eliza and I could enjoy some "girl time." We made our way to a nearby nail salon where we indulged in a little pedicure/manicure action. She wasted no time in selecting the lovely plum purple and electric blue shades of polish.

The manicurist was a bit sour in the beginning. I watched Eliza's face closely as she yelped instruction at her.

"Keep-a-your finger straight!" she repeatedly ordered. Or "Don't curl the toes!" Letting out a sigh of disappointment, she went to repair the smudges. I held my breath, wondering if I'd made a mistake. Eliza held her own, did her best and shot back with her natural charming gab.

Soon after, the lady warmed up to her. She started adding glitter and flowers to her nails. Next she asked if her five year old son could be Eliza's boyfriend. It was a memorable and worthwhile experience. Considering her birthday falls near or on Mother's Day, I see a tradition in the making.

Story time and a timeout with Henry in the library hallway followed. OH HENRY. Today I will hold my tongue. The focus ought to remain on his sister. As much as I enjoy sharing the "glowing reports"- I have to say that the realistic struggle that is my challenging two year old is forth coming.

Lunch at McDonalds (her choice) followed. During quiet time, she and I went outside sans Henry (who was napping - hence the, "quiet time" distinction) so she could peacefully bond with her new sandbox. 4:00 p.m. dragged on (as usual). Finally, Daddy arrived home. Dinner and the long awaited, opening of presents happened simultaneously (please note Henry's face in the collage below). Per our usual routine, we made our way outside for more time with the sandbox. I've been meaning to write about the wonderful next door neighbors we have... Margie is the type of lady who knocks at my back door at 5:00 p.m with a piping hot pot of beef stir fry. You see, she's simply made too much and doesn't want all of the left overs.

Perfect timing. At the time, I was in the throws of first trimester helplessness (aka too lazy to keep on top of meal planning). I gratefully accepted. Wanting to return the favor, I return her dish with a generous helping of cookie/fruit salad. And of course, she sent back my husband with a new dinner dish to try.

Last night, it happened again. Not knowing it was Eliza's birthday, she showed up with a container of carrot cake (true story). Having forfeited my plan to make her a cake, because I totally suck as a parent, we stuck it with candles and sang to the birthday girl (I'm making a cake for her party, I swear!). Oh yes, while we're on the cake boycotting topic, take a look at the "cake" I provided for her preschool birthday celebration. I know, right?! Where's my gold star parenting award? :) She wanted donuts and I was thrilled to not be making cookies at 9:00 p.m. on Sunday evening. Speaking of awards, I do have to note the sweet expressions of love my children bestowed upon me on Mother's Day.

From Eliza, I was given an apron adorned with her colorful hand prints... as well as two handmade magnets with her photo. Stop by for a visit in 20+ years. They will still be on the fridge.

Henry, gave me a box of gobstoppers. Bless his heart, I love those.

Andrew made me a card! It had a whole bunch of nice words in it and you all know how much I LOVE WORDS. In addition, he replaced our 'piece of junk' (not an exaggeration) house phones and gave me a lovely pot of flowers for the front (or back?) porch. He also made dinner.

So much for the "quick recap" promise. We're no longer strangers, right dear reader? I mean, this is kind of what you expect?

5 comments:

rachel garber said...

Never apologize for "quick recaps" - I LOVE them!

Audra said...

So fun! I love the doughnut cake. At first it looked like hamburgers!

Head over to bowsbyaudra.blogspot.com to enter my bow giveaway!

Jessica said...

Happy birthday Eliza!

I don't comment as much as I should Ali, but I really enjoy reading your upbeat, funny, and inspirational posts, thank you!

Melissa and Allen said...

Happy birthday to Eliza! I can't wait to hang out when you come out and I still absolutely love your blog.

Michelle said...

I didn't realize you already gave her the sandbox and presents. For some reason I was thinking she would get them at her party. How fun though. I'm glad Andrew finally caved in for now.

I hope she had a great birthday. She was glowing about her nails. Good call!