Great to see you, Taylor Family!
Living far away from our Arizona cousins is not easy, but I have to say that you couldn't choose a better location to catch up and bond than Lake Powell. Meeting their newest family member, Tennessee Winson, was sure exciting as well.Eliza wasted no time in reacquainting herself with everyone.
The kid's favorite pastimes included: hide and seek, afternoon picnics, coloring, games around the table, boating, marshmallow roasting, sand castle constructing, serving up mud inspired ice cream cones and swimming in the lake.
Circumstances would have been close to perfect if our entire family had been able to come. The voids felt for the Jensen and Green families were genuine. They were in our thoughts and in our conversations. Aside from their absence and a nasty visit from the throw-up monster, our time there was ideally spent."THE THROW UP MONSTER?! No!!!! Swim for your life!!!!"
Eliza's fear was justifiable as we watched 3/4 of our company fall victim to the nasty flu. Our bodies were like ticking time bombs. The suspense of "when" and "how bad" it would hit weighed heavily on our minds; or maybe that was just me because I am a slightly over anxious individual.
"Sickness? What sickness?"
It's true. Henry was miraculously spared... Andrew and I did alright too. While some were totally out of commission, Eliza seemed to bounce back quickly. I'll spare you the details of what the illness entailed but I'll just say that I don't think any of us will ever look at a sand pail the same way again.
Onto the highlights!
Tubing, wake boarding and water skiing! Eliza was nothing but reluctant about going into the tube. We forced her. I held her as her tears quickly transformed into peels of laughter. The following day, she rode without the comfort of a parent. It was surreal seeing my "baby" bouncing in the tube while in the company of her older cousins.
Time with Uncle Mike was another highlight.I felt a weight lifted when he arrived. Henry opened up to him quickly. They napped, they played, they bonded. Mike has a knack for teasing Eliza... so does the rest of the world. However, he was able to resist the desire to throw her in the lake because of her polite manner - so he said. What a good sport he (and all her cousins) was in letting her push him repeatedly into the lake.
Henry and his friend Relly...Henry regressed from last year's relaxed, go with the flow temperament. He was a little overwhelmed and intimidated by the water. I can't blame him. On our first day, he fell off of the ramp into the water which wasn't that deep, but he did go under. I was busy wetting myself as Andrew made the insanely fast rescue. Boating was likewise scary as he would only tolerate it from my lap.
His favorite spot was the bench in the kitchen. He enjoyed looking out the window, playing with Relly, eating the amazing food, driving the boat with Bubba etc.
Fishing was a daily occurrence. Andrew quickly obliged Eliza's fishing requests. Both of the kids caught catfish on their own and were extremely pleased with their efforts. After reeling in her catch, Eliza threw the pole to Andrew as she darted to a safe viewing distance.Not expecting Henry to catch anything, it was a lucky thing Andrew was in close proximity when he did. Henry needed the additional support as that catfish could have won their little game of tug-o-war.
Dive board battles and back of the boat swimming are two of my favorite memories... not that I participated in said battles, but it was sure entertaining to watch. When Henry saw the above photos of Cecelia washing her hair, he remarked,"Look! An Elf!" Cecelia doesn't know how to simply jump off the diving board. She energetically strikes poses when jumping off the board. She sure is talented and entertaining!
Games around the table, talks with Shipley and Sara, star gazing and camp fire singing were likewise memorable. But I have to say there is something magical about waking up to my silently smiling children in a tent and falling asleep under the stars while cuddled up to Mr. Right.
I love these kids; including Tennessee. I wanted to take him home with us.
Flegal Family, Lake Powell June 2010One of my favorite conversations from this trip happened with Shipley and Wickman. Three days into the trip they asked,
"Why are you still white?"
"Skin this white is rare. You have to do your best to preserve it... actually it's just they way I'm genetically wired..." was my response.
"Oh, I just thought the sun didn't shine where you guys live."
"Why are you still white?"
"Skin this white is rare. You have to do your best to preserve it... actually it's just they way I'm genetically wired..." was my response.
"Oh, I just thought the sun didn't shine where you guys live."
I wish we'd thought to take a group picture with the Ipson family before they left. Andrew's cute cousin Natalie and her family joined us for a few days. It was neat getting to know her better as I've been a fan of hers from a distance thanks in part to the blogging world. Her girls are adorable, Natalie and Cory are amazing parents and Eliza was definitely sad when Lilly left.
More to come on how blessed we are to be loved by our Bubba and Nanna, but I want to quickly tell them "thanks again" for all their efforts in providing us with such a neat experience each year. We love you!!
3 comments:
Oh fun! We are going to Lake Powell tomorrow and looking at your post just got me way excited! Lake Powell is awesome!
Oh I am so jealous. I miss Lake Powell so much. What fun, except for the sick bug. Liz told me about that. I just winced for you guys. That thought of being on a boat with sick people scares me!
What fun pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and looking through your post. Sad we couldn't make it as Lake Powell trips are some of my most memorable experiences. Hope we can still find a way to come see you guys soon.
Post a Comment