Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Snakey Business

The children paid a visit to super hero boot camp last week at our library. Their morning was filled with action packed songs, stories, a super pack of fruit snacks and a craft. In keeping with the theme, Eliza and Henry personalized their very own super hero cape and mask.

In typical big sister fashion, Eliza swiped his yellow cape and replaced it with her purple cape after we arrived home. Henry didn't seem to mind!
video

As you can see, I delight in Eliza's imagination. As she extends her super hero arms and bravely exclaims, "To the rescue!" I feel lucky that I'm able to watch her live her childhood. Sometimes these moments reconnect me with my own. In slight contrast, Andrew continues to prove (again and again) that he has yet to give up living his own childhood. To be fair, I have to say that I likewise feel delighted as I witness his child-like enthusiasm. The most recent example involves snakes.

While on the phone discussing Scouting business, I quietly observe as my husband stares out the window. As he listens to his counter-part, he watches as the rain pelts our patio. Exiting the scene, I make my way toward the stair case only to be assaulted by a burst of silent enthusiasm. Still on the phone, Andrew mouths impatiently,

"COME LOOK OUT THE WINDOW!" Caught off guard by his level of energy, I make my way to the play room to have myself a looksie.

"A SNAKE! A SNAKE!!!" He shrieks through a whisper! Distracted beyond belief, he interrupts his caller.

"Dale!" He says. "I'm sorry. Something's come up." Debating if he should be more specific he pauses a moment. "THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BACK YARD - I'll cal you back!!!"
(I love the top right picture of Henry chasing his Daddy down the hill)

Without missing a beat, Andrew is outside chasing the long black serpent. After his effort to snatch it up with the handle of a mop proves futile, he goes after it the old fashioned way. Next thing I know, he's in the house, clasping the snake in his hands and hollering for the kids to come see! Creeped out, I shoe him back outside. At first, the kids seemed content to observe through the glass door. Two minutes later, they're outside. Mustering up a higher level of super hero bravery, they approach the snake.


The snake adventure continued on Saturday as we enjoyed an afternoon of hiking with the Blasers. After surviving the dangerous descent to the actual trail (not exaggerating) we made our way to a beautiful water fall.

Socks and shoes were discarded as the kids (husbands included) waded in the shallow pool of water. Several minutes passed before a snake (possibly a water snake or copper head - either way it was venomous) was discovered. The highlight of our encounter came as we watched it swallow a fish much larger than itself at close range.

Fear was felt by some (my hand is raised) and enthusiatic curiousity was experienced by others (all hands pointing to Andrew!). After a picnic lunch we packed up the five children, dug shoes out of mud and made our way back up the trail.
I ought to mention that a significant piece of the trail was in fact created by Andrew. Not knowing where the trail head was, we bush-wacked our way down an INCREDIBLY STEEP hill. All I could do was pray that no one would fall as we navigated ourselves and five children down a hill that was littered with granite boulders that shifted easily.

We survived. Andrew carried Eliza in his arms and had Henry on his back. Jimmy did the same with his sons, Talon and Colby as Michelle kept her newborn protected in her arms with the help of a baby bjorn. It was totally stupid of us to take this on. I'm so thankful we made it to the actual trail with our children in one piece. It was reckless. Not even the cool kind of reckless. But it was defintely the memorable kind of reckless.

Here's hoping to a snake-free week here in the South. I hope all is well with you, dear reader, wherever it is you find yourself now.

8 comments:

Audra said...

Wow! It sounds like an adventure! I'm with you, a scary trail is one thing if you are only with adults, even if they don't act adult, but with children and a newborn that is extremely scary! I am glad to hear that you all survived!

The Tate Family said...

Steve would be SO jealous! Andrew would definitely be Steve's hero if they spent the day together! I was laughing so hard at the picture of Henry chasing Andrew...hilarious!

Michelle said...

You are right. My blog doesn't do it justice. You mind if I copy and paste yours? Thanks for the date tonight. Sitting between my husband and wife at Harry Potter couldn't have been better.

*Jess* said...

I do NOT do snakes. You are incredibly brave!

Sara M. Taylor said...

Okay, what kind of snake was that? Andrew seemed pretty excited about it. Paul would never pick up a snake in a million years. Luckily, that wasn't a requirement on my list of "must have" attributes. What a gorgeous waterfall!

Jen Bowen said...

Snakes freak me out so bad. Good job being brave enough do the video taping. I thought it was funny that in the super hero pictures Henry is wearing the same romper thing that Zach is today. I could see the two of them having a ton of fun together. Maybe on one of your trips back to Utah?

Mike Flegal said...

Are we at all suprised that he went and chased the snake down? Andrew how long did you keep that garter snake in the house before mom found out?

Marsh Mayhem said...

I needed that laugh today! But I really do think that Matt and Andrew may have been separated at birth ... he's been on my case all weekend long to let him buy a snake. If he comes home with one, can I send him (and it) your way?