Friday, March 12, 2010

A Case of Narcolepsy?

Remember this? I am hoping that little refresher will serve this story well.

Quiet time at our house goes something like this:

Henry and his crib rendezvous at 1:00 pm; give or take a half hour. Mom and Eliza play a quick round of Candyland (on an 'awesome mom' day) or involve themselves in some other parent/child pursuit. Mom then escapes to the "timeout couch" in the front room, for a moment of blessed solitude. If she's lucky, a power nap ensues. (Returning to first person) I am stationed next to the front door while Eliza sits a few feet away in the living room watching a show of her choice with a bowl of popcorn. She is so kind to give me that time to myself and I assure you, if I drift off, she is left in the safest of conditions.

One of these day, I'm convinced, I'll find her asleep on the couch. But alas, her imagination usually steals her away from her movie and she is discovered in a game of make believe or in the throws of mischief. Today, for example, I found her hand completely colored in blue marker. Her little blue paw prints were likewise discovered all over the toilet seat and sink (among other places) ... stinker.

After a lovely, "That was naughty, your hands will forever be blue, I'm throwing the markers away" lecture, I returned to the timeout couch to look up directions online for this evening's outing. Less than 10 minutes later, I hear snoring.

She was snoring like the dickens, I tell you!!
Naturally, I pulled out my camera.
Her head was well covered until my curiosity got the better of me. Twenty five minutes later, I heard Henry chattering up in his room. Thinking she'd appreciate the gentle touch of a Mother's hand as opposed to an overly excited sibling, I stirred her awake.



Did you notice the red marks on her face? Or her blue hands? And yes, my home is in a state of disarray as I've slowly been picking up the pieces from Henry's birthday party. Speaking of, I had every intention of blogging about Henry's party today, but couldn't pass this up as I'm still giggling about it. Those details (grandparents) are up next.

4 comments:

Jen Bowen said...

I love it!

Audra said...

She is adorable! She woke up very pleasant!

Michelle said...

She is becoming quite the little snoozer.

Blue hands on the toliet seat...I hope you washed her hands. Ha, Ha!

A and M's Mom said...

Marian has colored her entire body blue on two occasions. She was watching the video and said, Mommy is that me?
We have got to get these two together!