Thursday, March 18, 2010

Henry's upcoming promotion

On Tuesday, I wrote a Haiku poem.

Well (*clears throat*) technically, I wrote 20 separate poems thinking that it qualified as one, due to the fact that the subject matter is in a somewhat sequential order. However, after further investigation I realized that after 17 syllables, the poem is over. Perhaps an official graduate of the English language could properly explain what it was that I attempted.

Regardless of this pointless introduction, I am going to share it with you. I'm crossing my fingers that y'all will throw some support my way; especially since my husband couldn't suppress his laughter after I finished reading the words that I'd hoped would move him. Following the final verse, I felt a little like Phoebe Buffay. Perhaps I did try a little too hard.

Embracing my inner friend, I'll begin with the single poem that sums up the other 19.

On Valentines Day
I took a pregnancy test
It was positive

February 14, 2010

That expression + my hands + the necklace placement
= horribly awkward

We're expecting baby # 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The third amigo that will make the trio (couldn't resist, sorry), is due in October. Henry and his younger sibling will be a little over two and a half years apart. Now that the announcement's been made, it's okay to discontinue reading, but if you are at all curious about the other 19 poems, by all means, keep going! I was a thousand percent serious when I wrote this, but I still say that you're welcome to laugh. My husband did. For the record, I have no idea why the font keeps changing.
.

The first trimester

A heart-pounding surge of joy

born from a pink line


In the quiet morn

A wife whispers happy news

He hugs her fiercely


The long wait begins

She’s ready to tell the world

It’s how she’s wired


He lets her decide

News quietly trickles forth

To family and friends


Dreading nausea

She is hyper sensitive

To each sensation


First symptom arrives

The shedding of crazy tears

For no good reason


And then, at six weeks

A flood of remembrance hits

It sucks to be sick


Seven weeks along

Parents see a beating heart

It is beautiful

Humbled and grateful

They leave the Doctors office

With their son in tow


You heard right Henry

You have earned a promotion

Future big brother!

As for Eliza

Telling her was the best part

She shouted for joy

Currently eight weeks

This Mom learns she has strep throat

Oh the misery


With trepidation

She fills the ‘safe’ prescription

Please bless this new child


Enter faithful spouse

He provides her a blessing

Peace replaces stress


On she continues

Prepared to face the next weeks

Without the strep throat


Her children are there

To ensure she stays busy

Each day a surprise


One needs a doctor

The other poops in the tub

All in a days work


To the naysayers

This was planned and prayed over

You may not get it


One child at a time

That is our mentality
Each one is cherished


35 comments:

Audra said...

Your poem is beautiful! That picture is hillarious!! Congrats again! You make beautiful children!

Molly said...

AAAhhhhhh Congratulations! I love your "horribly awkward photo."

Man.... what is wrong with me? I need to just bite the bullet and go for round two.

When are you in slc next?

Allison and Josh said...

Ali, you are so cute!! Congrats on baby number 3! You are such a cute mama and you have such cute kids!

Ali said...

Thanks you guys! In response to Molly's question, we'll be in SLC sometime this summer. I'm watching airfare like a hawk. Henry's over two, we have to pay for him now (gagging). I'll let you know when our tickets are booked!

Katie & Andy said...

Well I am hormonaly challenged at the moment but your poems made me teary. Congrats and good luck!

Camille said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations! I personally am a big fan of the awkward photo. I hope you are feeling at least somewhat good...being a mother of 2 is exhausting enough! YEAH!!

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

Congratulations!! Loved the poem... and the awkward photo :) especially loved this verse,
"And then, at six weeks
A flood of remembrance hits
It sucks to be sick"

i remember that point... all too well. i'm pretty sure i asked everyone i came in contact with to remind me how much it sucked if i ever expressed interest in going for #4. :)

Chris and Annalisa said...

Your haiku(s) made me misty! Congrats to all of you, I'm so happy for you!

boo face mcjones said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! that is great news! and to find out on valentine's day?!? it doesn't get better than that.

and yes, the nausea totally sucks. good luck!

Megan and Jonny said...

Congratulations! My mother in law keeps telling me that if you can do 3 kids, you can do 10 (and she did). I still can barely handle one!

I hope you feel better soon! I don't know how you do it with two already at home! Can you tell me your secrets so that I won't be so terrified of having another?

Not that you're asking, but I think it's a boy. ;)

Em said...

YAY!! I am so excited for you Ali! You are the cutest dang mom..Your kids are lucky ducks.

Allison said...

Congrats! That's wonderful!

Nikki said...

Love the poem(s)! You are such a wonderful mom and wife. Baby #3 couldn't be going to a better family! Congratulations!!

Andrea Mouritsen said...

Awesome Flegal fam. Totally awesome! Congrats to you all! Yay!

Jen Bowen said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you! It seems like our pregnancies tend to overlap now. Good luck!

Marsh Mayhem said...

Congratulations!!!

Becca said...

Congratulations!!

Samye said...

YEAH!!!! So excited for you and your cute family! You will love having 3 kiddos!!!!

jamie t. said...

I loved your photo. You always seem to find a way to make me smile. Congrats to the whole family!

Betty said...

I love that you have thoroughly modern millie boob beads

The Tate Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You are the best mom and I am so excited for you guys!

Keersten said...

Congratulations! That is fantastic. Maybe your individual hiakus combine to make an epic poem? You are awesome--three will be great!

Emily said...

Congratulations to the Flegal Family! We're in Moab for the Half Marathon and Dave's with me - so we found out at the same time and he said, "wasn't Henry conceived in Germany?" I replied "yes" not getting where he was going and he said:

That's one in Utah
One in Germany
and one in South Carolina!

SWEET!!

Anna said...

Love the poem! Congratulations. Hope the next few months go well.

Trav and Lizzie said...

Hurray! You are amazing and darling!

Catherine said...

Yeah, Ali! Such happy news for you guys. I'm 14 weeks along, and still feeling the nausea, but super grateful for #3 as well. Good luck with everything. I'll be thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Great news! I liked the poem :) I hope you are feeling well!!

Michelle said...

I have been waiting for this big announcement on your blog. I knew it would be nothing short of amazing.

A and M's Mom said...

I'm so excited for you!

JWilcox said...

Yay! Congrats!

The Stanford Bunch said...

CONGRATS!!!

Mike Flegal said...

So about that necklace placement.. had you been watching thoroughly modern millie? BAHAHAHAHA.. if not watch it and laugh with me!

SJ said...

Congrats!! I am so excited for you!! Love you!

HAYHAY said...

You crack me up!

Congrats of number three! You guys are going to be officially out numbered:)

Carrie said...

Congrats! Thanks to one of your posts about Heart to Heart, we took another look them and now we have baby Landon with us. Just wanted to thank you for posting about Heart to Heart! And Congrats again on #3!