Sunday, May 30, 2010

A tribute to a graduate and her preschool

I find myself a little emotional as I approach today's entry because I am aware that the next 14 years will pass by in a blink. Someday, as I upload pictures of my high school graduate, I"ll remember this moment.

Last Friday we celebrated Eliza's preschool graduation. The above photo was taken in front of Andrew's hydrangea bush prior to our departure. Andrew's flowers are always worth mentioning.


The Graduate!!

**someone please press the PAUSE button**

I have kept quiet on the details of our preschool out of respect for the other Mom's who value their children's privacy in a way that I do not. :) In fact, our preschool happenings have been recorded on a private blog.

I hope they'll forgive me for the public posting. I love these kids! Each of us know their quirks, their strengths, their vulnerabilities and childhood flaws.

Owen loves the color yellow and transformers.

Kinsey (who happens to be Henry's favorite) loves to imitate kittens and puppies. Talon sticks out his tongue when he's concentrating on an art project. Spencer is enthusiastic for life and has the BEST run on sentences. Eliza loves her letters, friends and to be the boss. Lauren is the class princess.
I ought to tell you how much I appreciate and admire their Mothers. I owe them my heartfelt thanks for their patience with Eliza, their dedication to making their lessons special and for their help when it was my turn to teach. We shared lots of laughs, empathy and pregnancies. One Mama gave birth in October, another three weeks ago... the rest of us are expecting new arrivals this fall.

How We Operated: (a.k.a the details of a boring variety)

The children met every Monday and Thursday. The schedule was easy to change if an illness cropped up in someones home or if an appointment couldn't be avoided. One mother served as the week's host and teacher each week. Two other Moms were assigned to assist her. Our younger children (*ie Henry) came along when it was our turn to help.

One of my lessons: "Christmas Around the World"
Hence my dirndl.
Michelle kindly agreed to play the part of Sweden's St. Lucia

Our lesson material came from the manual, Teach Me Mommy. A letter or number was assigned to accompany the week's theme. Our mornings began with free play. Fifteen minutes after 9:00 a.m., we began "circle time" which included taking roll, reciting the pledge, introduction of the letter/number, the weather and finding out who was in charge of being the day's line leader and helper.

The lesson came next, followed by a craft. Eliza would be quick to remind us that SNACK TIME came next. Snack was followed by a period of free play. The morning ended with stories, singing time and creating a letter page for their alphabet book. Depending on that week's theme, we may have used that Friday to go on a related field trip.
The graduation began with a BBQ. The weather cooperated beautifully. Henry's spell of bad luck continued as he was beamed by an eight year old on a swing. Other than that mishap, I couldn't have enjoyed myself more.

After the program, we watched a 15 minute slide show/DVD courtesy of Miss Stephanie. I can't wait to watch it with Eliza's Grandma's. I think each of our spouses stepped away with a greater understanding of all that we did. Needless to say, Eliza's co-op preschool (or joy school as my Utah friends might know it as) has been a huge part of our life this past school year.

Next fall, she'll be starting preschool at our local elementary school. It's a five day a week program that is state funded. I'm certain the three of us will notice a void this summer as our weekly routine has totally changed. I hope we're as dedicated to play date scheduling as we were to this preschool because I will definitely miss the social aspect that I benefited from.

I've spoken with a few friends throughout the year and shared our ideas. Send me an e-mail if you want to talk through more details.

MORE DETAILS?!? Come on, Ali. What could you have left out?! Plenty, I tell you. Plenty.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I love Teach Me Mommy! It's my curriculum book as a professional preschool teacher. And then I check out online what the district expects preschools to be teaching so my students can soar through their Kindergarten testing. I decided to use my degree and start teaching my own preschool because I enjoyed teaching joyschool so much!

It sounds like you had a terrific group of kids and a good schedule, Ali. Their graduation atire is adorable!

Liz Green said...

What a cute way to dress them up for preschool graduation. It sounds like you have a great group of mom's to work with. I may have to call you for advise when Truman gets closer to 3 years of age.

Ami said...

What a fun preschool- It sounds like you moms did a great job! Eliza looks so grown up, and I love her graduation outfit. Congratulations!

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas! We are looking to start doing this in the fall with a few friends. I think I'll go buy that book this weekend!! As always, your children are beautiful. Congrats on the baby girl news too!

Stephanie said...

So cute, Ali! Thanks for this post. I love seeing the kids . . . what program do you use for making your pics into a scrapbook page like that?

Wasn't this year the best experience? I feel so blessed to have been included. I think I grew more than my daughter did! I'm glad we became friends, too. You're so adorable!