This is the expression that I hope to remember when I think back on her third birthday. To see it "in action," I've included the video captured as we sang, "Happy Birthday!"Mom, pay attention to the "...dear Eliza" portion of the song; that's where the magic happened.
That was simply the best part. The highlights that follow are other details worth remembering.
Eliza's morning began with a serious case of bed head.
After pancakes and the longest bubble bath of her life, we made a trip to Walmart to pick up her **GASP** store bought cake. I'll happily give up the 'mommy points' I may have earned had I made her cake myself. She wanted a "Thomas cake" and they produced a great one. That's just the way I roll!It took us five minutes to make our way from the bakery to the check out line due to Eliza's NEED to stare into the cart at her Thomas cake. That afternoon, I'd catch her peering into the fridge just to take another loving look. Did she eat her piece of cake when the time came? Certainly not. Remember the flu monster that visited our house hours after Henry's b-day party? The memory of upchucking her piece of Nemo cake is still too fresh. Still, it was her cake. And she cherished it.
There were bubbles, sidewalk chalk and an inoperative child size car to occupy the kids. Oh yes, we also had a pinata.
Prior to the demolition of said pinata, Eliza took charge as she declared to her guests that it was time to open her presents. Without my green light or encouragement, she independently decided on her first gift, plopped herself in the center of the room and began tearing through the paper, enjoying her large audience. Her Thomas the Train tent from Talon was the instant hit. Her crayons, finger paints and other art supplies occupied her attention the remainder of the night.
As for her dress ups; every five minutes, it's off to find something new to try on. Her barbies, doll house additions and other "girl" accessories have received much more attention than I anticipated.The moment leading up to her birthday song, Eliza started doing the potty dance. After escorting her to do her "business" she began crying with impatience as I enforced the need to put her underwear and pants back on.
The excitement of having her friends was too much. She had no time for under-roos knowing that her friends were waiting to sing her the birthday song. It was cute and oh so typical of her to freak out over something like that.
The evening was simple, yet exceeded my hopes and expectations. I really dragged my feet in solidifying plans for her party. I was discouraged that we'd be celebrating another birthday away from family. *Cue the violins* Birthdays and holidays are still difficult considering the huge gap between us and our family. For a minute, I thought that if I tried to ignore them, I wouldn't be nearly as sad.
Eliza deserved better. I knew that. I would never ignore her birthday. Rather, I did my best to hype up the excitement. That didn't cure the hesitation I felt to invite people over. I worried they'd have other commitments, that our actitivies (or lack there of) would be boring or think it was strange that I offered. Sheesh, talk about social insecurities Ali! To your delight, dear reader, everyone came. My emotions were torn between total happiness that I was able to provide Eliza was such a positive experience and gratitude for those who came to support us. That didn't cure the silent longing I carried for this special lady
(as well as the rest of our family) as I remembered a conversation I had with Eliza earlier that afternoon. Eliza told me;"Mom?"
"Yes sweetie?"
"Nana's coming to Eliza's birthday party tonight." I was sad I couldn't provide her with that desire. That's a relatively low note to end such a post on, so how about I reiterate that her birthday was a success, she smiled that winner smile and had a blast playing with her friends. I enjoyed the adult interaction and the energy filled atmosphere. Happy Birthday Eliza!
8 comments:
How cute is she?! What a good mom you are to throw her a fun party.
Jayce wanted to go back to 'Liza's house (as he calls her) so he can play some more. He's asked ALL DAY LONG! He really had a great time! And Jaina made a new friend, too! I have tons of pictures to share with you, but have to get them off my camera first! Thanks for inviting us!
She was so cute in the video! She is a sweet girl and oh so cute!
Sorry we forgot to call. I am still making up on my sleep and we have just had so much on our minds. I really am sorry. She looked so happy. You guys are great parents.
I just watched the video while my class was eating snack. Several of them came over to see (they love watching videos of my kids, and know them both well). They started asking if it was Marian's birthday and where was I in the video. I scrolled to a picture of Eliza and asked who they thought it was. Their unanimous answer, "Marian!"
So cute!!! I totally have the exact same social insecurities. I'm glad that Eliza had a fun birthday to remember.
What a fun party. Ali, you sure know how to make event "Moments to Remember."
Post a Comment