Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Our weekend revolved around Stake Conference meetings. Having the opportunity to listen to and shake the hands of Elder Dallin H. Oaks and newly called member of the Quorum of the Seventy, Elder Schwitzer was one of the greatest opportunities that have come our way, spiritually, in a long while. By pure happenstance, our paths crossed Elder Oaks again as we made our way to our seats Sunday morning. I beamed as I watched him greet and acknowledge my young children.

The messages were amazing.

Yesterday I began the task of preparing our home for company. Then... on a whim, I decided I'd trim the hair around Henry's ears. That decision led to trimming the back of his hair as it had grown quite long...

One thing led to another and before I gave myself full permission, I gave Henry a serious haircut.

Despite being pleased with the results and surprised by Andrew's enthusiastic response, I mourned his curls.

The "before"The "oops!" - I mean, the after




I promise, the total effect is better in person. At any rate, his hair (like mine) grows ridiculously fast. His handsome little face is more noticeable now. I could look at this sweet boy all day long.

Currently, we are minutes away from leaving the house to collect Nana Teresa from the airport. She'll be here to play with the children and clean up after Andrew (just kidding) while I'm away for the next two days. Here's the part where I recycle the cliche pun...

Like Henry's hair, I am "Hair Today & Gone Tomorrow." As I prepare to depart for Salt Lake, I'm cycling through feelings of excitement, stress and guilt. I am experiencing bouts of sadness and worry when reminded that I won't be seeing them for two days.

I know they'll be well cared for and spoiled with attention while I'm away. Still, I can't suppress the anxiety of being on the other side of the country. The only time I've spent the night away from Eliza was when I gave birth to her younger brother. Wish me luck.

To those attending the wedding, I'll be seeing you Thursday!!!

And finally... our little 19 pound pile of cuteness is walking. It's been a long time coming. He's been taking steps for a while now, but lacked the confidence. He's so incredibly pleased with himself.

6 comments:

Andrea Mouritsen said...

He is ADORABLE Ali. Angelic really. So congratulations on that. :)

The Tate Family said...

Holy cow he is so cute! I can't believe how curly his hair is...if I remember correctly, Andrew's hair is stick straight, so he must get the curls from you....he is stinkin cute!

Michelle said...

I just did the same exact thing with Colby. Jimmy has been begging me to give him a buzz and I said no because I love his hair. Well my trim turned into a buzz and I totally miss his golden locks. We are so on the same wave length. I hope you have fun in Utah, and then in Ridgeland. We seriously need some Flegal time next week. Pencil us in.

*Jess* said...

His haircut is adorable! Have fun out west!

Michelle said...

his new hair cut is adorable. i cant believe how fast they are growing up.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.