Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Toothy Tale

Friday, March 23

Driving home from a wedding dinner, Andrew sends off a text to the babysitter letting her know that we were on our way home. Keeping it simple, he types:

We are leaving slc now. We will be there about 9:40.   

And while her response was likewise brief, its content completely caught me off guard.

Ok Eliza lost a tooth
and it fell down the drain 
in the bathroom sink.

My baby lost her first tooth and I'm eight days late in posting it to the blog. Seriously, where are my priorities? ;) When you're blessed with a heightened tendency to overreact to life's sentimentality, learning to poke fun at yourself is a great coping mechanism. With that being said, I was a flutter of excitement. 

"What?!" I demand. Being the one behind the wheel, I had to resist the urge to grab my phone and read it  myself. 

"Did you know Eliza had a wiggly tooth?" Before allowing Andrew time to answer, I continue,  "I had no idea she had a wiggly tooth!" As I try to process the news, I realize that I need to know more. To be honest, I am surprised that I even have to ask Andrew to give her a call. The lack of information is eating me alive. Andrew, being the normal person that he is, calmly sits in his seat. Finally picking up on my want for detail ("CALL HER NOW!" - subtle, yes?), he picks up the cell phone and gives her a call. 

Waiting on the connection, I swallow my feelings of sadness. I missed the whole event. I don't know the whole story, but I know it ended with her tooth falling down the sink. I imagine the resulting disappointment.

Hearing her answer, I take the phone from Andrew's hands. She doesn't know me well, so I try my best to tone it down. 

"Hey Emma! We just got your text. Do you mind telling me what happened?" What I wanted to scream was,
 
"OH MY GOSH! You just witnessed a major milestone and I didn't. Tell me everything! What was going on? What did she say exactly? Did it hurt?! Which tooth was it? What pajamas was she wearing? Was it raining outside? ..."

Yes. My life is full of flavor. It's a bonus of being SO DARN EMOTIONAL. 

Long story short (*Bahahahaha) Eliza was eating an apple and out of no where, her tooth popped out. Wanting to wash the blood off, she took it to the bathroom. Despite Emma's warning, it went straight down the sink. In an instant, the triumph of her unexpected tooth retrieval had turned into a profound five year old tragedy. With Emma's encouragement, Eliza wrote a letter of explanation to the Tooth Fairy detailing the drama from start to end; except, she did leave out the part of how her Mom is a crazed lunatic. 

Lucky for Eliza, the tooth fairy knows a guy. His name is Andrew and in less than ten minutes after getting home, he rescued the tooth from a sad life in the sewage system. The following night, Eliza had the honor of putting her first tooth in an envelope and placing under the pillow. She wrote another note. 

 "Dear Tooth Fairy,
My tooth is in here.
Love, Eliza"

Not wanting to pass up an opportunity to reinforce positive behavior, the tooth fairy not only congratulated her on the exciting achievement of losing her first tooth but also commended her on having a clean bedroom. The tooth fairy visits many rooms and most certainly appreciates the ones that are kept tidy. Wow. The tooth fairy is sounding more English by the second.

As I closed her door that night and took in the sight of the other two doors that share her corner of the hallway,  I was clobbered with gratitude for the blessings in my life. We certainly have our challenges, but the prayer that filled my heart was one of sincere thanks. 

"You were right. Life is so sweet." I like to think that I carry memory's of conversations from my previous life. Like I said earlier, crazed lunatic. It's not so much the words that I remember, but the feelings. Don't get me wrong, I've said "You were right, this is really hard." lots of times too, but not that night. 

*Sigh. That concludes our first of many toothy tales.

 
 But not the post.

Continuing on with a few more Eliza memories that need a place to be stored:

The next day, Eliza and I went to see Bonneville High's production of, "High School Musical." We enthusiastically cheered for the talented cast members, enjoyed the view from our 2nd row seats and had our fill of popcorn and skittles. It was the perfect way to spend some one on one time with this special girl.


The excitement and energy was a little draining for the little Miss. A few minutes into our drive home, she was out.
As for Henry and Lottie, they had a fun time helping Daddy plant his new fruit trees in the yard.


Other happy mentions include the fun pajama birthday party she attended last night. 


And finally, Friday morning I was able to spend the morning volunteering in her class. I love, love, love that time. Thank you Kim for watching the other two rascals, for the awful diapers that Lottie so faithfully produces for you while I'm away and for being, in general, one of the most awesome people I know.

And while Eliza has said on several occasions that she enjoys having me come to class, it might not be as memorable as an experience for her as it is for me. Friday afternoon, she sits at the kitchen island coloring a picture.

"Hey Mom, guess what? she says.

"What, Eliza?" I reply.

"We went on an Easter Egg hunt in class today! Isn't that cool?"

"I know. Remember how I was also there." Feeling a little sheepish she turns around to look at me. With her hand now on her forehead she returns,

"Oh ya. You were! Silly me."

3 comments:

Liz Green said...

Wow! I'm amazed how quick her tooth fell out and no surprise with Andrew to the rescue.

I always love reading your blog posts and hearing what funny stories you have to share. XO

Karina said...

If I was your babysitter, I would've gotten the tooth out of the drain. Just saying...
What a cute post. Eliza is such a good girl.
I laughed at your "long story short (bahahaha)". :)
I laughed at the English tooth fairy. A lot. Ha ha ha!
I can't wait to take Becca on Mommy-Daughter dates. That was cute.

Michelle said...

I can't believe it! Are they really old enough for this to be happening?! That makes me so sad. I can't believe you didn't tell me that on the phone.

On another note. She looks so adorable with a missing tooth. I can't wait to show Talon in the morning. He'll love it!